Hen with red and poopy butt? What is this from?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey everyone, I’m finally just getting to posting this. One of my Wyandotte's behind looked a little funky when I was refilling the food, I noticed some poopy, clumpy feathers and some pretty red skin, so I caught her to clean her up, and decided to post here with some pictures, because I can’t figure out why it’s so red? This was yesterday because it slipped my mind to post it then. I see no sign of maggots, prolapse, or egg binding that I can tell, but I am not an expert in any of those cases so maybe I missed something? I trimmed a lot of those feathers after holding a wet rag on there to loosen the poop, and I felt like I could feel her (idk what you call those bones) but like the bone around and under her vent, maybe a bit more than I have before? But I’m not really sure. She acts totally normal, but I have found some consistent bloody eggs recently that I haven’t figured out who they are coming from yet. Could this be from her? It’s not every day or anything like that, but here and there and maybe occasionally two or three in a row, but then they stop, and everyone acts normal. Sorry for the poor quality pictures, I was in a rush to leave and just stopped to look fast. I can get more tonight if you guys think it’s needed.

Attachments

• 17483E2E-922A-409A-9A66-177CDEEA7C04.jpeg
    17483E2E-922A-409A-9A66-177CDEEA7C04.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 9B8FACB3-B386-4FFD-97E9-FB502D7581A8.jpeg
    9B8FACB3-B386-4FFD-97E9-FB502D7581A8.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 7F6EED02-060F-403B-97E5-DB2B460B19DF.jpeg
    7F6EED02-060F-403B-97E5-DB2B460B19DF.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 9CCEA7BD-5266-4EE7-8BB1-AE93D958BB36.jpeg
    9CCEA7BD-5266-4EE7-8BB1-AE93D958BB36.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 10
Or my other question was, is it from poop sitting on it and irritating it? But like i feel like that’s not it.

No, I don’t beleve so, I trimmed some since it was caked on so badly. But I mean there’s a possibility? But she’s a hen that’s on the higher end of the pecking order.

Picklestheduck, I have a GLW and she has the SAME issue! Fortunately it hasnt gotten too bad but I have bathed her twice in the past 6 months. And again now, i feel she would benefit. I know the reason. Her stools are very loose. Shes so healthy otherwise. I trimmed some butt fluff but i think it is less beneficial because; the fluff acts as a barrier for the poop touching skin. Its something I have to check. I actually posted a question this morning about how far i could trim butt fluff; but upon further thinking, the goal is to keep the poop OFF the skin. If its in her fluff thats ok. We dont need a spa day to clean dry poopy fluff. I will keep the fluff and check her booty more often. Her stools are SO loose tho 🤷‍♀️ I love when she dust bathes. I may just dust bathe her instead! Keep that area dry. As long as the skin is not broke, i think we'll be ok. Ahhhhh, the chicken learning curve is real!

Attachments

• IMG_5466.jpeg
    IMG_5466.jpeg
    924.1 KB · Views: 5
I did trim mine but didn't make the logical connection about the feathers protecting the skin. What a ding dong I am. I bathed her and she proceeded to get almost all the water on me. She did like the blow dryer which was so funny. I sprayed her behind with Vetricyn and then slathered on Desitin. Seems to be helping with the moisture barrier.

I did trim mine but didn't make the logical connection about the feathers protecting the skin. What a ding dong I am. I bathed her and she proceeded to get almost all the water on me. She did like the blow dryer which was so funny. I sprayed her behind with Vetricyn and then slathered on Desitin. Seems to be helping with the moisture barrier.
Yes, but in my opinion, thats just too much work for me. I mean, once a year would be fine. Funny, my wyanotte enjoys the blow dryer as well. She sits perfectly still the whole time. It all is just too much work. I'm gonna grab her now and check her out. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom