Hen with swollen abdomen

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, I'm guessing this is fatal but I thought to try the forum just in case. This is an 8 month old hen with a swollen abdomen. Penguin walk. Last night she roosted on a lower branch than usual. I soaked her for 30 min in warm water with epson salts. She expressed a bit of diarrhea last night and this morning. This morning I gave her lyncomycin-spectinomycin orally, and injected 3 cc mineral oil and l-s into cloaca as well. Any chance she will survive?
20230429_090753.jpg

Does it feel water balloon like? Do you know when she last laid, or if she ever has?
She's young for a reproductive problem, but it can happen. If it feels like fluid then likely ascites/waterbelly, that is fluid leaking from the liver, could be a cancer, infection, organ failure. If it's firmer, then could be infectious material, if she's never laid then she may be an internal layer. Usually the prognosis is poor once their abdomens are bloated, and the definite answer to what's going on may not be known until necropsy, the symptoms can be very similar between the various causes. If vet care is an option then internal laying or some cancers may show up on imaging, but many don't have access to a vet that will do the tests or can't spend that kind of $$. The penguin stance can sometimes mean egg binding, but they usually cannot pass droppings if it's that, and they also can take that stance with reproductive problems, they feel like they need to lay, but cannot, it's just whatever is going on in the abdomen.

Does it feel water balloon like? Do you know when she last laid, or if she ever has?
She's young for a reproductive problem, but it can happen. If it feels like fluid then likely ascites/waterbelly, that is fluid leaking from the liver, could be a cancer, infection, organ failure. If it's firmer, then could be infectious material, if she's never laid then she may be an internal layer. Usually the prognosis is poor once their abdomens are bloated, and the definite answer to what's going on may not be known until necropsy, the symptoms can be very similar between the various causes. If vet care is an option then internal laying or some cancers may show up on imaging, but many don't have access to a vet that will do the tests or can't spend that kind of $$. The penguin stance can sometimes mean egg binding, but they usually cannot pass droppings if it's that, and they also can take that stance with reproductive problems, they feel like they need to lay, but cannot, it's just whatever is going on in the abdomen.
Ok thanks. She did pass half a dozen droppings last night in the nesting box but no egg. Vet care is not an option right now with my salary. I will look up ascites / waterbelly thank you.

If it's ascites, then some will drain the fluid and it can make them more comfortable for a time. It usually returns, as the underlying condition is still there, but it may relieve the pressure and make her more comfortable. It does come with some amount of risk, but many people do it successfully. There are video's on youtube showing how to do it, it's fairly simple. Personal decision and entirely up to you.

I found this in the nesting boxes yesterday. Does this look like a hen passed a blockage from an oviduct? The hen in question looked a bit better today - she was breathing normally and a little more active, still swollen tho.
20230430_181550.jpg

Hi all, it's been now 4 months (!), and this hen still looks egg-bound. She has not laid an egg, nor been mounted by any of the roosters, in this time. She waddles around, sleeps on the floor in the same warm corner of the coop every night, and if she gets knocked over, she can't get up. Her comb is a pale crusty purple color. Her appetite seems normal, and I have seen her make little poops. I have given her maybe 10 Epsom salt baths. She seems more comfortable the following day, but still not back to normal. Does this look like salpingitis or egg-bound? Should she be euthanized?

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_152244661.jpg
    IMG_20230619_152244661.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230619_152238512.jpg
    IMG_20230619_152238512.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230619_152233373.jpg
    IMG_20230619_152233373.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Egg binding would have killed her by now. It's very likely salpingitis based on what she passed before. If not that, then another reproductive problem likely. Whether to euthanize or not is up to you. I usually leave them with the flock until they are acting obviously unwell, go off food and water, isolate themselves. But we all have our own ways of deciding. If you think she's suffering, or has little quality of life, then it may be time. If she still seems basically happy, and doing mostly normal chicken things, then she might have some time left. But that is up to you. There is not any one right or wrong answer in these cases, every bird is different. I've had some live as much as 18 months, I've had some go much faster. The decision of when it's right to euthanize is very hard sometimes, and very personal. If you think it's the right time, then it likely is. If you are undecided, then no need to rush. I usually ask myself 1. what is their quality of life? and 2. Am I hesitant for THEM, or am I hesitant for ME. If they are suffering, then it's a kindness to not let that go on. If they are still enjoying life, then you can always decide to euthanize when that is no longer the case.

Egg binding would have killed her by now. It's very likely salpingitis based on what she passed before. If not that, then another reproductive problem likely. Whether to euthanize or not is up to you. I usually leave them with the flock until they are acting obviously unwell, go off food and water, isolate themselves. But we all have our own ways of deciding. If you think she's suffering, or has little quality of life, then it may be time. If she still seems basically happy, and doing mostly normal chicken things, then she might have some time left. But that is up to you. There is not any one right or wrong answer in these cases, every bird is different. I've had some live as much as 18 months, I've had some go much faster. The decision of when it's right to euthanize is very hard sometimes, and very personal. If you think it's the right time, then it likely is. If you are undecided, then no need to rush. I usually ask myself 1. what is their quality of life? and 2. Am I hesitant for THEM, or am I hesitant for ME. If they are suffering, then it's a kindness to not let that go on. If they are still enjoying life, then you can always decide to euthanize when that is no longer the case.
Thanks for your input. I wish I had research salpingitis earlier. I started her on oral tetracycline today; will see if she improves by this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom