Hen with swollen abdomen

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, I'm guessing this is fatal but I thought to try the forum just in case. This is an 8 month old hen with a swollen abdomen. Penguin walk. Last night she roosted on a lower branch than usual. I soaked her for 30 min in warm water with epson salts. She expressed a bit of diarrhea last night and this morning. This morning I gave her lyncomycin-spectinomycin orally, and injected 3 cc mineral oil and l-s into cloaca as well. Any chance she will survive?
20230429_090753.jpg

Does it feel water balloon like? Do you know when she last laid, or if she ever has?
She's young for a reproductive problem, but it can happen. If it feels like fluid then likely ascites/waterbelly, that is fluid leaking from the liver, could be a cancer, infection, organ failure. If it's firmer, then could be infectious material, if she's never laid then she may be an internal layer. Usually the prognosis is poor once their abdomens are bloated, and the definite answer to what's going on may not be known until necropsy, the symptoms can be very similar between the various causes. If vet care is an option then internal laying or some cancers may show up on imaging, but many don't have access to a vet that will do the tests or can't spend that kind of $$. The penguin stance can sometimes mean egg binding, but they usually cannot pass droppings if it's that, and they also can take that stance with reproductive problems, they feel like they need to lay, but cannot, it's just whatever is going on in the abdomen.

If it's ascites, then some will drain the fluid and it can make them more comfortable for a time. It usually returns, as the underlying condition is still there, but it may relieve the pressure and make her more comfortable. It does come with some amount of risk, but many people do it successfully. There are video's on youtube showing how to do it, it's fairly simple. Personal decision and entirely up to you.

You are very welcome, and I wish you luck with her. Glad she's feeling a little better. I have had some do better for a while after a round of antibiotics, but it did recur. Every bird is different and it's hard to predict.

You are very welcome, and I wish you luck with her. Glad she's feeling a little better. I have had some do better for a while after a round of antibiotics, but it did recur. Every bird is different and it's hard to predict.
Hi @coach723 , just an update, unfortunately she passed a couple of weeks ago. She did start laying eggs again (on the floor) about three weeks ago, but was still swollen, and then apparently a rooster mounted her and the downward force was too much for her. Thanks again for your input, I'll know what to do if this happens again.

So sorry for your loss. You really tried to help her but cases like these usually do not end well. Chickens with reproductive issues at such a young age is usually genetic. In a veterinary setting bloodwork/fecal and radiographs are performed and treatment ensues. If the condition is from heart issues, options are limited. If the condition is from reproductive issues, the hen is spayed, given supportive treatment (IV fluids/antibiotics/pain medications) and sent home.

@coach723 oh my goodness! another hen just presented with some of the symptoms of the previous hen - heaving (heavy, slow breathing), and sitting daily but not laying eggs. Her abdomen is bright red but not particularly swollen. Anyway, this time I started her immediately on tetracycline. The day after the first dose she was still heaving, but today after the second dose, she has stopped heaving and looks pretty active outside. Can't know for sure if this was salpingitis but happy to know how to help her! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom