Hen with swollen abdomen

She's been on tetracycline for 4 days now. She seems maybe a little less swollen, and a little more active, and maybe a little more steady on her legs. Hopefully she will continue to improve. I truly appreciate your input @coach723 :)

You are very welcome, and I wish you luck with her. Glad she's feeling a little better. I have had some do better for a while after a round of antibiotics, but it did recur. Every bird is different and it's hard to predict.

You are very welcome, and I wish you luck with her. Glad she's feeling a little better. I have had some do better for a while after a round of antibiotics, but it did recur. Every bird is different and it's hard to predict.
Hi @coach723 , just an update, unfortunately she passed a couple of weeks ago. She did start laying eggs again (on the floor) about three weeks ago, but was still swollen, and then apparently a rooster mounted her and the downward force was too much for her. Thanks again for your input, I'll know what to do if this happens again.

Hi @coach723 , just an update, unfortunately she passed a couple of weeks ago. She did start laying eggs again (on the floor) about three weeks ago, but was still swollen, and then apparently a rooster mounted her and the downward force was too much for her. Thanks again for your input, I'll know what to do if this happens again.
Sorry for your loss. These type of issues usually aren't "fixable" but you can help prevent them by making sure you feed a balanced diet.
Too many treats can cause things like this so if you feed treats limit them to once a week and not daily.

Sorry for your loss. These type of issues usually aren't "fixable" but you can help prevent them by making sure you feed a balanced diet.
Too many treats can cause things like this so if you feed treats limit them to once a week and not daily.
Thanks. What do you mean by treats? Sometimes I give them the textured goat sweet feed (grains with some molasses), but not really any table scraps. What sorts of foods set them off?

So sorry for your loss. You really tried to help her but cases like these usually do not end well. Chickens with reproductive issues at such a young age is usually genetic. In a veterinary setting bloodwork/fecal and radiographs are performed and treatment ensues. If the condition is from heart issues, options are limited. If the condition is from reproductive issues, the hen is spayed, given supportive treatment (IV fluids/antibiotics/pain medications) and sent home.

@coach723 oh my goodness! another hen just presented with some of the symptoms of the previous hen - heaving (heavy, slow breathing), and sitting daily but not laying eggs. Her abdomen is bright red but not particularly swollen. Anyway, this time I started her immediately on tetracycline. The day after the first dose she was still heaving, but today after the second dose, she has stopped heaving and looks pretty active outside. Can't know for sure if this was salpingitis but happy to know how to help her! Thank you!

I hope she recovers. I would keep an eye on her though, sometimes antibiotics will knock it back but it will sometimes continue to progress and symptoms can recur. They hide it so well, it's often hard to know for sure.

I hope she recovers. I would keep an eye on her though, sometimes antibiotics will knock it back but it will sometimes continue to progress and symptoms can recur. They hide it so well, it's often hard to know for sure.
Actually, I need to recall my previous assumptions. About a dozen of my other older (3yr) hens also stopped laying last week. I put two more through antibiotics, but they did not start laying again. They did start growing feathers back on their backs. I think they may have just been molting.

Back
Top Bottom