Hen with swollen wattle near ear lobe

Carolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
One of my BO hens has swelling and some discoloration of her wattle, it is the smallest piece nearest her ear lobe. It was whitish looking with some blue tinge. Could this be frost bite? I have had a roo with frost bite on tips of comb but I don't remember swelling. She appears other wise healthy and active. We have had the coldest nights this year in the last few days. As far as I know she roosted in the coop but it is possible she got out (house inside electric fence.) I have a new roo who has had a hard time learning to roost in the coop and one of the buffs was hanging with him when I finally got him in there a couple of nights ago. It is also possible she might have positioned herself right by the vent.

I don't know.
idunno.gif
Any of those are very possible.

I think we can manage this okay if it is frost bite. I am concerned whether it might be something else that needs to be treated differently. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry I was not able to get a pic. posted. Whatever the cause it is almost completely resolved. Not only is the swelling down but the color is almost back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom