Hen with vent prolapse

apryl29

Crossing the Road
7 Years
May 8, 2017
NE Ohio
Yesterday evening I came across my hen with a vent prolapse. I wasn't super bad whereas no didn't appear to be an egg and if she stopped pushing the prolapse would go back in. I caged her overnight and this morning there was a good amount of feces in her cage but after I soaked her this morning I noticed there is a protrusion and I'm not sure what to do about it. Can anyone with experience chime in? She is eating and getting around fine but is sensitive for me to touch the area though I was able to get her cleaned up pretty well. The spot I am referring to is the small purple area on the left side of her vent in the photo.

Attachments

• 20230521_074759.jpg
    20230521_074759.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 289
How is she doing, my speckledy has prolapsed today. Gave her a warm bath and tried holding the prolapse back in but no luck. Shes seperated now in a dark coop to discourage egg laying. Hope she gets better!

My hen is fine now. I stuck her in the dark basement in a small dog cage overnight. The next day I checked on her and she had a piece of tissue hanging from her vent that was about the size of an M&M. I didn't mess with it and kept her in the cage the entire next day and kept an eye on her. It looks like the prolapse had stopped. I think what happened based on an internal exam the first night was that she felt that piece of tissue inside of her and her body was trying to push it out and the force of her pushing caused the prolapse. I kept her in the cage again for the next day and the following morning checked her again and was able to use a wet cloth to loosen the piece of tissue from her feathers. I moved the cage back into the coop to reintroduce her and she has been fine since. I hope your hen is OK. I did notice mine stopped pushing while I was soaking her but unfortunately I couldn't keep her in the water for very long. I think a big part of her being ok was the fact that she didn't have an egg involved.

My hen is fine now. I stuck her in the dark basement in a small dog cage overnight. The next day I checked on her and she had a piece of tissue hanging from her vent that was about the size of an M&M. I didn't mess with it and kept her in the cage the entire next day and kept an eye on her. It looks like the prolapse had stopped. I think what happened based on an internal exam the first night was that she felt that piece of tissue inside of her and her body was trying to push it out and the force of her pushing caused the prolapse. I kept her in the cage again for the next day and the following morning checked her again and was able to use a wet cloth to loosen the piece of tissue from her feathers. I moved the cage back into the coop to reintroduce her and she has been fine since. I hope your hen is OK. I did notice mine stopped pushing while I was soaking her but unfortunately I couldn't keep her in the water for very long. I think a big part of her being ok was the fact that she didn't have an egg involved.

Thats good to hear! Mine was in the coop all day yesterday, her prolapse eventually went back in itself. Shes laid an egg this morning and either it cracked when laying or she has crushed it. But none the less she still hasnt prolapsed. Ive taken her off pellets and will lock her up again at lunchtime to limit daylight hours. Fingers crossed she will be ok.

Happy to hear your bird is also doing well. The other stories I'd read weren't so promising and made me worried. I don't know if mine has laid since but everything looks good still.

Back
Top Bottom