Hens attacked by I dont know what need help please!!!

RodDog

Chirping
Mar 18, 2016
Georgia
A few days ago my hens got attacked by something not sure what but it killed 2 of my hens and injured another and one came out with no injuries at all. My injured hen MJ has a small cut on her head, tip of her beak is missing and her right eye is shut and not sure if it is missing or swollen shut. She just pretty much stands in one place all day moves around just a little but the problem im having is that she is not eating nor drinking. My wife gives her water with asprin in it with a syringe but shes not drinking a whole lot of that and Ive got her to take a peck of food once. Anyone have advice on what to do!!!! I gotta say that this 49 year old mans heart is breaking over loosing the 2 hens and the injured hen. MJ is the hen that I have in my avatar and she is my favorite I loved all of them but MJ has a little special something about her and I don't want her to suffer and don't want her to die from not eating nor drinking!!!! PLEASE help!!!

I think you need a vet. You can get eye drops to rinse her eye out. If her eye was missing she would be bleeding from it. Bathe her wound with pre-boiled water with a little salt, unless you have any antiseptic?

Put her in a dark, quiet place for a while. If she doesn't perk up I would see a vet, just to get that eye looked at if nothing else.

Sorry to hear this.

A few days ago my hens got attacked by something not sure what but it killed 2 of my hens and injured another and one came out with no injuries at all. My injured hen MJ has a small cut on her head, tip of her beak is missing and her right eye is shut and not sure if it is missing or swollen shut. She just pretty much stands in one place all day moves around just a little but the problem im having is that she is not eating nor drinking. My wife gives her water with asprin in it with a syringe but shes not drinking a whole lot of that and Ive got her to take a peck of food once. Anyone have advice on what to do!!!! I gotta say that this 49 year old mans heart is breaking over loosing the 2 hens and the injured hen. MJ is the hen that I have in my avatar and she is my favorite I loved all of them but MJ has a little special something about her and I don't want her to suffer and don't want her to die from not eating nor drinking!!!! PLEASE help!!!
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Can you post some photos?
Do you think she was crushed/squeezed at all (internal injuries)?

Hydration is the most important, so anyway you can get fluids in here would be good. Add some vitamins/electrolytes to the water (like poultry nutri-drench, save-a-chick or infant poli-vi-sol no iron). Some people have good luck with a needle less syringe or eye dropper, others use tube feeding (links below).

As far as food goes sick/injured birds will sometimes eat hard boiled egg or tuna so you can try those, also wetting her food may be worth a try (mix her feed with a little warm water).

Wound care, clean with saline or dilute betadine. For the cuts you can apply plain neosporin or something like Vetericyn.
The eye gently clean/flush with saline, you can use Vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin eye ointment or plain neosporin. Main thing is to keep a look out for any infection in the eye - odors, discharge/pus, etc.

@casportpony is great with tube feeding so if you encounter any problems send her a pm for help.

Tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Aspirin solution:
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

Mix up some raw egg, yogurt, and and some bread crumbs, and see if she will eat that. Water mixed with her feed to make it soupy would also help. Liquids are more important than eating at first. Her beak may be very sore. There is a good thread here if you type "go team tube feeding" that might be helpful if you would like to tube feed her for a couple of days. Just go to the search box, top of this page. Sorry for your loss, but make sure that your coop is locked up from dusk until daylight. Still, some chickens may be killed by day time predators, but my chicken really need to roam outside daily.

Thank you for the response and advice We have 1 local vet that said they don't do anything with chickens so I'm on my own.

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Can you post some photos?
Do you think she was crushed/squeezed at all (internal injuries)?

Hydration is the most important, so anyway you can get fluids in here would be good. Add some vitamins/electrolytes to the water (like poultry nutri-drench, save-a-chick or infant poli-vi-sol no iron). Some people have good luck with a needle less syringe or eye dropper, others use tube feeding (links below).

As far as food goes sick/injured birds will sometimes eat hard boiled egg or tuna so you can try those, also wetting her food may be worth a try (mix her feed with a little warm water).

Wound care, clean with saline or dilute betadine. For the cuts you can apply plain neosporin or something like Vetericyn.
The eye gently clean/flush with saline, you can use Vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin eye ointment or plain neosporin. Main thing is to keep a look out for any infection in the eye - odors, discharge/pus, etc.

@casportpony is great with tube feeding so if you encounter any problems send her a pm for help.

Tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Aspirin solution:
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

I don't have any pics but when I get home from work this afternoon I will take some and upload them. Thank you for all the advice and I will put them to work. I never thought I could or would get attached to chickens but me and my wife both did and not ashamed to say that I cried like a baby when all this happened and will do whatever it takes for something like this to not happen again. Again thank you for the advice.

Mix up some raw egg, yogurt, and and some bread crumbs, and see if she will eat that. Water mixed with her feed to make it soupy would also help. Liquids are more important than eating at first. Her beak may be very sore. There is a good thread here if you type "go team tube feeding" that might be helpful if you would like to tube feed her for a couple of days. Just go to the search box, top of this page. Sorry for your loss, but make sure that your coop is locked up from dusk until daylight. Still, some chickens may be killed by day time predators, but my chicken really need to roam outside daily.

Thank you and yea me and my wife have been going around the pin securing every thing we find. Not sure what did it and not sure how It starts to get daylight around 6;30 am and when I left for work they were just getting down from their roost and by 7;00 am when my wife checked on them when she got up it had already happened. and don't see anywhere whatever it was could of got in to do this but it was a horrific scene to say the least from what my wife told me so we are taking every precaution we can for this to not happen again. Thank you for all the advice and help!!!!

I think you need a vet. You can get eye drops to rinse her eye out. If her eye was missing she would be bleeding from it. Bathe her wound with pre-boiled water with a little salt, unless you have any antiseptic?

Put her in a dark, quiet place for a while. If she doesn't perk up I would see a vet, just to get that eye looked at if nothing else.

Sorry to hear this.

Thank you for the advice and yea my wife said the same thing about the eye cause there is no blood or signs of blood at or around the eye. Our local vet said the don't do anything with chickens whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom