Hens attacked by I dont know what need help please!!!

Just to update!! She came out of the pin when I got home and managed to drink a few sips of water. She would walk a little ways and then stand or sit for about 30 mins and go again. I tried to feed her and when I put it up to her mouth she perked up like she really wanted to eat but all she could do was barely open her mouth and smack and then she gets frustrated and gets away from me! She's having a hard time navigating with the one eye and I've noticed her tail dropping!! This is tuff watching her go through this and I'm praying that she will recover!!!

You may want to place her in a dog crate with her food and water, so that she will be close to them. Give her bits of scrambled egg or tuna to coax her to eat. I hope she starts feeling better.

You may want to place her in a dog crate with her food and water, so that she will be close to them. Give her bits of scrambled egg or tuna to coax her to eat. I hope she starts feeling better.

X2.. What she said
smile.png

Just to update MJ still wont eat but she will drink a little water, she wants to eat but when she tries she gets fustrated and walks off and when I tried to coax her with tuna and scrambled eggs she tries but dont eat! Not sure on the tube feeding so just asking if I use a turkey baster with liquid food will that work? Its going on the 5th day with nothing but a little water!! I tried uploading a few pics but it didnt take so sorry about no pics!

Just trying to think of everything, forgive me if I repeat myself...

Is she able to drink on her own?
Have you tried using wet feed? Mixing her feed with water and then possibly putting a little on your finger to see if she will take it?

You could always try a turkey baster, but I wander if it is too large? If you have a Tractor Supply or pharmacy that has syringes (needle less) then you may want to consider trying to use one of those instead. Also if you can get the feed to be liquid enough for syringe/baster I read where a lot of people use Kaytee Baby bird food to try to help, but raw egg or a good slurry in the blender of hard boiled egg will be most helpful as well.

The biggest worry (for me, if I tried it) is not choking her. This link is a different one, but Kathy has some good photos (about 7 photos down) of which "hole" to put the syringe, would be worth a look.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1023154/tube-feeding-videos-pictures-and-general-info

Try mixing some plain yogurt and whip in a raw egg, then mix it in with some bread crumbs. Try watery chick feed as well. Fluids are most important. Tube feeding pretty easy once you get a tube and ayringe, and read the articles. For fluid only, you can use a piece of aquarium air tubing, melted on one end to round off sharp edges, and connect it to a syringe from the feed store. Tubing can be found in pet qisle at Walmart or pet stores where fish supplies are found.

We took some of her feed and mixed it in water and she took to it pretty good she ate a decent amount and then about an hour later ate a little more so that is a relief!!! We put some saline on her eye but still won't open and when we were doing that notice a slight amount of blood coming from her right nostril it had dry blood from the attack but this looked fresh is that something I need to stress about? Thank you all for the very helpful advice!!!!

Back
Top Bottom