hens bloodied broody hen's comb

TravisE

Songster
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
fayette county wv
should i keep her by her self tell it heals? its bloody but i dont thank it real bad. i took her and her nest box out. i put her in a chick brooder. i had built for chicks coming this coming week. i can put her in a dog cage when they come. is this the best idea? if i leaft her in the coop, they would bully her more. wouldnt they?

An extra coop or grow off pen comes in handy when situations like this arise. I'd separate the broody hen to a safe, comfortable area with a nest, feed, and water. Likely it is one hen being a bully. How many nests do you have and how many hens? Usually it is standard to have 1 nest for every three hens. Too few nests make hens more territorial and that can lead to nasty behavior. Then again, some hens are just very aggressive and should be culled if they start harming other hens. I had some younger hens and one was harming everyone else. So I took her and let her bad attitude be subjected to one of my older Black Australorps that was tougher. She put her in line after a few days and neither were harmed. The pecking order can be difficult to moderate sometimes. I hope you find a solution or maybe some others can chime in with some ideas based upon their experiences.

I forgot. The brooder you are using now that will eventually house new chicks. Make sure you clean it and disinfect it a week or so before your chicks arrive. You may know this. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

i have 9 hens. and 3 nest boxes. and they are not even laying. they are 9 - 10 months old. my new chicks are to replace, the ones i have. but im might keep the broody one. for a broody. she has when broody 2 times within a month. i thank im going to put her in the dog cage tomarrow. the chicks will be here, monday - wenesday. so i can clean it.
thanks for the replys

i have 9 hens. and 3 nest boxes. and they are not even laying. they are 9 - 10 months old. my new chicks are to replace, the ones i have. but im might keep the broody one. for a broody. she has when broody 2 times within a month. i thank im going to put her in the dog cage tomarrow. the chicks will be here, monday - wenesday. so i can clean it.
thanks for the replys
she may take care of the chicks if she is very broody. That'd be good for them.

Back
Top Bottom