Hens have almost completely stopped laying.

jennaveewhit

Chirping
May 15, 2022
My husband and I went out of town for 10 days and had the neighbor boy open and close the run and give a treat in the morning (watermelon or some greens such as parsley or cilantro, maybe a few black soldier Flies, anyway a small amount). Ever since we returned they have mostly stopped laying. They are one year old And I have a total of 6 hens. 3 Easter eggers, one barred rock, one isa brown (best laying hen around) 1 olive egger who hasn’t laid a egg since late December when she went to molt. I am so sad this is happening and I have no idea what to do. I checked them for mites and lice and they have none. I looked at their droppings and there does not seem to be parasites. They are acting completely normal otherwise. Please help. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Did they have regular feed while you were gone, in addition to the treats? They had a big change in their routine -- you not being there. Chickens don't like change. I've had hens stop laying for a few days for various reasons: a big thunderstorm with lots of wind; when we added onto the coop; and also, yes, when we went on vacation and had a neighbor take care of them.

Did they have regular feed while you were gone, in addition to the treats? They had a big change in their routine -- you not being there. Chickens don't like change. I've had hens stop laying for a few days for various reasons: a big thunderstorm with lots of wind; when we added onto the coop; and also, yes, when we went on vacation and had a neighbor take care of them.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, they had the usual feed. Their water looked kind of dirty and needed to be changed immediately. I do check on my girls a few times a day and have them out to free range the yard when I can sit out with them (so they stay out of our vegetable garden and blueberry bushes 🤣 I really treat them as my pets and enjoy their antics. We’ve been home for 7 days now and the laying hasn’t gotten better. I’m wondering if something is bothering them at night but I don’t see any signs of Predators trying to break into the coop. Almost considering a trail camera. I wonder when their strike will end? I’m also wondering if I should treat them for worms even if I see none? Is that something I should do yearly or only when I see signs of worms?

I’m also wondering if I should treat them for worms even if I see none? Is that something I should do yearly or only when I see signs of worms?
I would not treat for worms unless you see evidence of worms. Get a good look at their poop, and post pictures if you need help. No, we don't consider that gross. Poop is a good indicator of health. The pictures need to sharp and clear.

Treating for worms "just in case" is not helpful, and it can raise resistance in the parasite to the treatment, which is never a good thing.

Did your chicken sitter let them out to free range? (I'm guessing not...?) If not, that is a change to their routine, and chickens don't like change.

All this is NOT to say that they could have something else going on. Check them for overall health, give them good feed, make sure they have clean water.

If you find something, don't hesitate to post pictures and ask questions here on BYC. The knowledge pool is wide and deep. There are members here who know more about treating chickens than a lot of vets.

This poor hen had lost Her feathers in late December and hasn’t started to lay since. She eats and acts normal but looks worse lately. Since these pictures her comb is very light almost like it was bleached and ears are almost white. I cannot figure this out and feel like a failure. The other hens give only 2 or 3 a day and I have 5 (other than this one). I was thinking I would get more in the spring But it’s less.

Attachments

• 2012BEB8-45B8-4089-A9B6-BB519F032D77.jpeg
    2012BEB8-45B8-4089-A9B6-BB519F032D77.jpeg
    960.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A3BD1DA9-15A5-453E-AC9D-A860A0A3FF1F.jpeg
    A3BD1DA9-15A5-453E-AC9D-A860A0A3FF1F.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 81414AE4-922B-4E01-9249-FAC81804D83C.jpeg
    81414AE4-922B-4E01-9249-FAC81804D83C.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 7
  • FE014573-39DA-4CB1-A260-FF3EF09AE318.jpeg
    FE014573-39DA-4CB1-A260-FF3EF09AE318.jpeg