Hens just standing off by herself

Goldnmine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2017
I have 2 yr old RIR hen, about 2 weeks ago I noticed her out just standing in the corner of her run. I checked her over and couldn’t find anything off I gave her some electrolytes and she was back to normal. The other day I noticed she was standing in the nesting box when I was collecting eggs, she was over top a few eggs from other hens and some what looked like a cracked egg (some yellow and clear slim and shell). I cleaned it up and went on my way. Today she was off by herself just standing puffed up in the corner again, this time I brought her inside and put her a box with some electrolytes. I don’t see anything odd other then her behavior. It’s night now so she is sleeping but will check her over more in the morning. Anyone’s input on what could be going on would be great. Her comb is nice red, eyes are clear, her abdomen doesn’t feel hard or full. She is fed laying feed and free choice of grit and oyster shells.

Is your hen still isolating herself in a corner and not being active? Do you know if she has been laying any eggs? Isolating herself indicates she's sick. But that's all we know until you find us some more clues.

The broken egg may be a clue. Could you describe the egg in more detail? Was it crushed? Any sign of the contents? Have you seen any egg on her butt feathers? Is there a steady drip of clear fluid coming out of her vent? Is she squatting and straining, her vent pulsating?

The broken egg could have been a coincidence and not be from her, but if she was in the nest with it, there's a better chance she was involved. But to rule out a crop disorder, you need to check her first thing in the morning. If her crop is full before she eats, a crop issue may be making her sick. Ruling out a crop disorder will help steer us to what could be the actual issue, perhaps reproductive.

Is your hen still isolating herself in a corner and not being active? Do you know if she has been laying any eggs? Isolating herself indicates she's sick. But that's all we know until you find us some more clues.

The broken egg may be a clue. Could you describe the egg in more detail? Was it crushed? Any sign of the contents? Have you seen any egg on her butt feathers? Is there a steady drip of clear fluid coming out of her vent? Is she squatting and straining, her vent pulsating?

The broken egg could have been a coincidence and not be from her, but if she was in the nest with it, there's a better chance she was involved. But to rule out a crop disorder, you need to check her first thing in the morning. If her crop is full before she eats, a crop issue may be making her sick. Ruling out a crop disorder will help steer us to what could be the actual issue, perhaps reproductive.
Thank you for your reply. I kept her in a Tupperware container in my house last night. To answer your questions the other day with the egg I did not notice her back end because I just assumed an egg got broken and cleaned it up real quick before anyone else noticed and tried to eat it. The egg did have some broken shell pieces, there was some yoke and some clear liquid (I don't know what the technical name is). It to me looked to just a broken egg, but now thinking back she wasn’t trying eat it she was just kinda standing like she was about to lay and I interrupted her (I don’t even recall if she stayed in or came out of the coop). This morning she has pooped, she does have some poop on her butt feathers (didn’t know if it was there last night when I brought her in). Her vent is pulsating occasionally, no clear leaking out. She has been acting pretty normal this morning, she currently looks to possibly maybe laying. Oh and her crop was empty this morning so I gave her some feed and she ate.

I believe we can take a watch and wait approach to this. Your hen may have had a stubborn egg in her that she was having trouble getting out, but she managed to pass it.

Be vigilant as to her behavior. If you see her continue to isolate herself, fluffed up, tail held low and flat, she could have a reproductive infection or egg material still stuck inside. In that case, give her a calcium citrate tablet to help pass the material.

If she goes back to laying normally, and she's joined in flock activity, she's probably okay.

I believe we can take a watch and wait approach to this. Your hen may have had a stubborn egg in her that she was having trouble getting out, but she managed to pass it.

Be vigilant as to her behavior. If you see her continue to isolate herself, fluffed up, tail held low and flat, she could have a reproductive infection or egg material still stuck inside. In that case, give her a calcium citrate tablet to help pass the material.

If she goes back to laying normally, and she's joined in flock activity, she's probably okay.
How much calcium would I give her? She’s @5 lbs. I have read somewhere about giving tums.

Also how long should she take to lay the egg? She’s quiet and just laying and standing and picking around in her bedding.

She is sitting quietly and I think trying to lay, I just heard a splash sound and she pooped clear liquids with some dark material.

Attachments

• 95AB7ECD-6C4C-43BD-9B33-089185056098.jpeg
    95AB7ECD-6C4C-43BD-9B33-089185056098.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 21
Tums will do until you can get the calcium citrate. Give her one Tums right now.

Calcium citrate from the people vitamin aisle, with D3 is what I get. I give one whole tablet right into the beak. She will swallow it with no problem.

Give the one tablet each day until she back to laying normal eggs and feeling well again.

Tums will do until you can get the calcium citrate. Give her one Tums right now.

Calcium citrate from the people vitamin aisle, with D3 is what I get. I give one whole tablet right into the beak. She will swallow it with no problem.

Give the one tablet each day until she back to laying normal eggs and feeling well again.
Question I gave her a Epsom bath and noticed these spots, do you think she has fowl pox?

Attachments

• A9382A50-5EDA-4343-9B7E-61D7B3FEC84D.jpeg
    A9382A50-5EDA-4343-9B7E-61D7B3FEC84D.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2852C4CD-9D85-4890-830D-C2EB23CFA968.jpeg
    2852C4CD-9D85-4890-830D-C2EB23CFA968.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom