Bantam not standing

Ash56

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jun 20, 2023
San Antonio
We have a Cochin bantam named Fluffy who is barely 1. I found her last night in the nest box breathing fast and just looking quite unwell, so I brought her in for the night. I wanted to watch her and maybe get her to drink some electrolytes. We live in south Texas and it was one of the first really hot days of the year which made me she was just dehydrated. She wouldn’t drink any electrolytes last night and still hasn’t today. She also has not eaten. She pooped a watery poop last night right when I picked her up and when I was checking on her this morning I found this poop and nothing else. I included a photo of that and then also a video of how she is breathing. She is also pulsating her vent as if there’s something she needs to get out but I felt and looked and it doesn’t seem there is an egg. She won’t stand. I took her back to the run to be with the other chickens thinking maybe it would cheer her up and she just laid flat. When I tried to give her a tums she started shivering which I thought maybe it’s because she was scared since I’m holding her head and opening her mouth but idk I’ve never seen a chicken shiver like that.

Another thing I should add is, 2 days ago I was sitting outside and she started penguin walking around the yard. I looked and there was an egg stuck and about to pop out. But she had a lot of trouble trying to get this egg out. She was walking around the yard doing the penguin walk and squatting and eventually a fully intact egg with a hard shell came out.

We recently had 2 hens go broody and they are sitting on eggs in the nesting box. There’s another side of nesting boxes but they all of course like the side the broodies are on so I kind of assumed the stuck egg came out like that because she wasn’t getting her spot in the nest but maybe there is something deeper Going on. We gave them Corrid 2 months ago. They eat Nutrena Feed

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I would get some human calcium citrate with D3 and give her one tablet 300mg. Did she finally take the Tums? I would dip her beak a few times in the water and in some wet chicken feed or egg. She could be egg bound, having some egg disorder, she could be dehydrated, or Mareks could be a problem.

Thank you I will try all of those things. I did get about half of the tums down her. I broke it in 1/4 and opened her beak and dropped each piece in. I have been checking on her all day and the last time I checked her, she seemed more alert. Hoping that is a good sign

I would get some human calcium citrate with D3 and give her one tablet 300mg. Did she finally take the Tums? I would dip her beak a few times in the water and in some wet chicken feed or egg. She could be egg bound, having some egg disorder, she could be dehydrated, or Mareks could be a problem.
This was her poop today. Very strong smell
IMG_6124.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom