Hens Laying Smaller Eggs for Months

I'm curious about your feed "parts"
How much is the 6 part....
Do you measure in cups or quarts?
IF:6 cups of complete chicken feed
3/4 a cup cat food
1/2 cup scratch
about 1/4 cup of corn doesn't sound too bad.

I will double check it tonight. Basically, I WAS using a scoop...so 6 scoops of layer pellets, 3/4 scoops of cat food, 1/2 scoop of scratch, and 1/4 scoop of corn. But I will recheck that as in the last month, I started using a bucket (cuz it took too long to do 6 scoops :). But as long as I was using the same sized scoop, the proportions would remain the same no matter what size scoop you used. : ) HOWEVER, having said that, the bucket I have been using for the last month may actually hold more than 6 scoops . . . so, I'll remeasure tonight and let you know. : )

I don't have cats so I am not familiar with what is in cat food.
Just know that a lot of people mention it is very high is salt...too much salt for chickens.

What brand do you use..I'd like to look up the label online to read the ingredients.
I am curious if it is THAT different from chicken feed.

Okay, finally measured how much the bucket contains... I was wrong about my estimate! So, the final breakdown is: 10 parts layer pellets, .75 parts dry cat food, .5 parts scratch, .2 part corn.

Well, I've made a dry "complete" cat food a regular part of my chicken and peafowl diet for years. Now, as you'll note in an earlier post, it's less than a 10 to 1 ratio, so it's not a hugely significant part of their diet, but I'm hopeful that it helps a little with the protein, vitamins, and minerals. As a side note, dry cat food REALLY attracts skunks and opossums. I've had an issue with both recently (breaking into my coop and eating eggs/killing chickens), and used dry cat food in a live trap and it worked VERY well.

Well, I've made a dry "complete" cat food a regular part of my chicken and peafowl diet for years. Now, as you'll note in an earlier post, it's less than a 10 to 1 ratio, so it's not a hugely significant part of their diet, but I'm hopeful that it helps a little with the protein, vitamins, and minerals. As a side note, dry cat food REALLY attracts skunks and opossums. I've had an issue with both recently (breaking into my coop and eating eggs/killing chickens), and used dry cat food in a live trap and it worked VERY well.
Yikes...
I hope your are able to secure the coop to keep those meanies out.

Back
Top Bottom