hens molted, not laying yet, why HELP

buff

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Shippenville, PA
I have 8 leghorn hen about 2 years old, they all use to give me eggs everyday, then they started molting, which I know they quite laying when the hens do this, and I know it takes sometime for them to start laying again. What I am wandering is how long before they start to lay again its been about 2 weeks since they been done molting and I am only getting maybe 4 eggs a day if lucky from the leghorns its also been extremely hot and humid the past couple of weeks. Will this slow them down about not laying? They were such good layers until they started molting. I would like to try and figure out why they may not old be laying yet. If anyone has got any suggestions, it would be appreicated.

The heat will certainly slow them down, though my lone leghorn laid nearly daily all summer. Probably you just need to give them more time; regrowing all those feathers takes a lot out of them and they have to recover. They are also old enough that they are likely to slow down a bit in their laying after each molt. Commercial growers will often sell a leghorn at this age for this reason. They probably won't stop, and often the eggs they do lay are larger, but there won't be as many.

Mine didn't start laying again for 3 1/2 months from the start of the molt.

ETA: Give them extra protein and it will help them get through the molt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom