Hens molting for 7 months

Molting will clear up results of problem starting around fall equinox when body feathers are replaced. With many breeds you should be seeing wing flight feathers already in run. About time tail feathers fall out is when new feathers will come into the saddle area.

Okay. So around late September replacement feathers should begin to show. Maybe by then the feather picking will be over and done.

I added Flock Raiser (20% protein) to the feeder today. And I purchased BlueKote to spray on the bare areas when I can catch the hens and the rooster. I am adding leaves to the run this evening.

If you can get some pallets up on blocks, it is a quick and cheap way to make more room for your flock, it doubles the space as chickens can get under or on top of it, and they can get out of sight of other chickens.

You mention that you have a roo. It might be very well that his technique is not the best, especially if you are noticing breakage on the shoulders and back. Bare backs bother people more than chickens. My hens looked horrible when I had Captain, but they loved him, and he was a great predator protector. So a toss up.

I do agree, molt looks like a feather fight has taken place, they quit laying, and look like hell. I add a little serving of cat food, or meat once a week when they get this way.

Mrs K

Thanks for the tips. This rooster is older and well experienced. He doesn't seem to pull out any feathers when he mates. The hens squat for him and they seem to love him. He doesn't chase them or pull on their back or neck feathers. Just the head feathers during mating.

There are few if any feathers lying around in the run. I think the hens pick the feathers and then eat them, maybe for protein or something.

Last edited:
I placed two wheel barrow loads of oak leaves and straw in the run. I also spaced out the roosting poles so the hens can't reach to the next pole to pick feathers.

So now the hens have their increased protein in their feed. They have their leaves to scratch. And their roosting poles are spaced so they can't reach to another pole to pick feathers. I think they are happier already. They flew off their roost at dust when I dumped the leaves and began to scratch the leaves. Thanks everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom