Hens or roos

Mixed Pen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 17, 2013
AUSTRALIA

So i have 2 light sussex, mostly look identical, temperament slight different, one in your face, the other is a runner. their combs etc are same shade od pinky/red. i just think there is a slight difference in hackle feathers.. (its a bit deceiving because of the black on the white and the black bit is pointy, so you cant see the end of the feather real well, but this is the best pics i could get of each of them..

then i have 1 plymouth rock, who to me i would say roo, but its comb is still only going bright red now, where it was pale for ages compared to my other roos and its feathers, not that its super easy to see, look rounded to me.

hmm, where is the add photo button gone??

Last edited:
We need ages to be able to answer your questions.

That makes a big difference in our opinions.

Whole body photos of each individual bird help too.

Right now, I would GUESS, without knowing ages...you've probably got a male top photo top bird (same bird second photo?) and female bottom bird top photo and 4th photo.

I would need to know the age for the Barred...that's a lot of silvery looking color, which could indicate roo...but a full body shot and age would help.

Yes, if the bird is at least 10 to 12 weeks old (and these look older?), then yes, start looking for shiny hackles and saddle feathers and sickle feathers depending upon the breed. Some roos don't get the sex related feathers until almost 5 months, or longer! But that comb usually gives them away much sooner (and crowing).

Comb is a big indicator, but again it depends on the age of the bird as to what that determines. Roo's get big red combs early, and larger sooner than later, but hens will turn red and look like an immature roo size comb when they come into lay.

Hackle and saddle feathers should be round for a hen, spiky for a male. Some feather colors make it look spiky when it is actually round, so looking at the feather over a paper can help. Shining a flashlight at night on the birds can also help see the difference between healthy gloss of female feathers and the bright flash of spiky hackles.

Lady of McCamley

I think they're roosters. The tail feathers of the sussex look like they're arching which is a roo trait. I see some green shine on the tail feathers too. The BR looks like a young cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom