Hens Plucking Rooster!

1lpoock

Spruce Creek Waterfowl
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
I have a flock of 12 laying hens and one rooster....lately the hens have started to pick the feathers off of the roosters' neck and it is starting to get bloody. You'd think the rooster would push them away but he does nothing to stop them, he just stands there....what should I do?

Sound like your rooster is quite the gentlemen. I would put something foul tasting on him. Suggestions on that im not sure. Maybe a layer of petroleum jelly and a layer of hot hot hot sauce

Bitter Appple is a spray to stop plucking/pecking
BlueKote also has a nasty flavor and helps with healing
add more protein to their Diet.

I have used the bitter apple spray also, with great success. It`s available at many pet stores in the birdie section. Something a little closer to most homes is Noxema skin cream, or a cheap Walmart generic of same. Works great. If the boy is getting bloody as mentioned, he may be in need of some solitude, to heal. Chickens are notorious cannibals..........Pop

I would increase protein also.

Hot pepper sauce won't work. Chickens can't 'taste' hot and the hot sauce would really irritate his already sore/bloody neck.

Are they feeling crowded? My pecking got better when we moved a bird to another coop, I also started giving them more activities. My roo was getting pretty bloody and I thought I would have to remove him (or the hen that was doing it) cause he let her peck at him. He would sqwak like.."ouch" but not even move. I hang apples (I figured they are red) and scatter corn underneath hay so they have to dig for it. I also read that too many carbs can lead to an uneasy flock in the winter. I cut down on the corn too, I was definatley over dosing on the treats. Get him out if it gets bad. I should have taken pics of my roo, cause he was lookin pretty bloody on one occaision. I was surprised that they didnt get cannibalistic on him, that's when I did all I could to keep them occupied. He is all better now.

Back
Top Bottom