Hens squat at my feet

chynasparks

Songster
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Texas
I have 5 hens, no roo. They just started laying last week and I think 2 haven't started yet. They are the sweetest girls. I've been able to hold them, pet them. The same week I started getting eggs, they started something new. When I go in the pen and approach a hen, she squats in front of me as if to accept a roo's advances. They've done this at one time or another all just since egg laying started. I will go ahead and pick up the squatting sweetheart and talk to her for a couple of minutes then I put her down where she squatted. I don't know why I decided to handle the squaring this way, I just thought that maybe they recognize me as head of the pack so I need to acknowledge them when they do this. I interact with them all the time. They aren't free ranging (another story). They don't act stressed, well, this heat wave in south Texas is stressing them this week but they seem unstressed by their coop and pen. (Pen soon to be enlarged). So, does this mean I'm I head chicken or is this a sign they need a rooster?

Yes and no.
Squatting is the desire to breed. Since you are head chicken and no rooster present, they'll present to you.
You can just ignore the behavior since you aren't likely to give them a shot of what they need.

Yes and no.
Squatting is the desire to breed. Since you are head chicken and no rooster present, they'll present to you.
You can just ignore the behavior since you aren't likely to give them a shot of what they need.

Thanks, I kind of thought so. I can't get a roo. It would be a crowded coop. They seem ok but then I'm really not a chicken so what do I know.

Quote:
Mine do this as well. I just pet them and they love it. Stand up shake it out and go about being happy!
Exactly how my girls handle it. I'm not worried about them, I just wanted some other opinions. These babies are going to have an all girls club. I plan to spoil them as much as possible. Thanks for the input.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom