Hens squatting for my husband and I!!!!

nerfworthy

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
South Western Idaho
I got my chickens around March and most of them are right at laying age now. I've even gotten a few eggs so far! But the strangest thing is about a week ago I noticed some of the older hens started "squatting" with their heads down and wings slightly spread when I went to pet them.

I thought maybe they were just hot at first, or maybe got scared, but when I gave their tail feathers a little pat and they ruffled up right after looking happy with themselves, I realized it's not as innocent as I initially thought LOL! I actually think it's really endearing, and it sure makes them "friendlier".

Does this mean my hens think we are their roosters? They exhibit the same behavior for my husband. They're starting to ALL do it now except for the youngest ones who aren't laying yet!

Our only surviving chicken was the only one that squatted for family, friends, and the dogs. When the dogs and the chickens met when the dogs were hungry, under walked and over excited, all the chickens that got killed flapped their wings. The only one that survived had a hurt beak and weak legs but that's it! I think when the dogs ran at them, she squatted and they ran over and past her. My guess is that she landed on her beak and it hurt her beak and legs. So...squatting saved her life! Now that she is 100% and laying again, she squats for us and still tries to hang out with the dogs! She didn't learn!

Our only surviving chicken was the only one that squatted for family, friends, and the dogs. When the dogs and the chickens met when the dogs were hungry, under walked and over excited, all the chickens that got killed flapped their wings. The only one that survived had a hurt beak and weak legs but that's it! I think when the dogs ran at them, she squatted and they ran over and past her. My guess is that she landed on her beak and it hurt her beak and legs. So...squatting saved her life! Now that she is 100% and laying again, she squats for us and still tries to hang out with the dogs! She didn't learn!

I'm so sorry for your losses! That's terrible, but so great at least one survived. Fortunately my dog is far too little and far too "chicken" to mess with the chickens! They could certainly kick his butt.

Is it weird for me to feel like my chickens really love me now? LOL. I love these hens so much, I spoil them with greens and tomatoes all the time from the garden and spend time with them every day. I just now feel like they are appreciating it all!!

You should have seen all the attention our one remaining chicken, Chicken Little, got when she was the only chicken. Luckily, we got eight babies the next week to perk everyone up. It really helped Chicken Little get back to eating. She wanted anything they were getting. It was a good change for us after all the death and chicken processing to have tiny fluffy balls running around.

Back
Top Bottom