I am the rooster...doo doo de doo....

rolohman

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Upstate New York
My Coop
My Coop
For some reason I keep singing this to myself to the tune of "I am the walrus".

So - my question is about chickens squatting for me now that they've started to lay. All but one of them were very standoffish til now, but now I'm enjoying the fact that all six cluster around me and squat and let me pet them. Yes, I know they think I'm mating with them and that is, perhaps, a bit gross. But they are so soft and fluffy!!!

My question is whether this behavior is likely to continue, or if it's just an early spring hormonal thing. Should I be taking advantage of this opportunity to handle them like crazy, in hopes that they continue being more friendly in the future?

My question is whether this behavior is likely to continue, or if it's just an early spring hormonal thing. Should I be taking advantage of this opportunity to handle them like crazy, in hopes that they continue being more friendly in the future?
As long as they're in lay and you encourage the behavior, they'll likely continue doing it as long as they're in lay or close to it. I find it an easy test to see if any birds are close to starting or resuming laying.

Of the 5 pullets I have, only one of them squats for me, less now than when she first started laying.

If you like to handle your birds, I'd say go for it! I sit in the run, and the pullets come up to me much more often than the 3 and 4 year old hens. Some of the pullets will sit on my lap. I don't mind that a bit. Even if their feet are dirty and they leave foot prints on my pants. Or shoulder.
IMG_5212.JPG

Back
Top Bottom