Hens stopped drinking from nipples?

SpinningJenny

Chirping
Apr 6, 2016
So, my 5 hens have decided the nipple waterer is taboo... I noticed the water levels haven't been going down over the last few days, but credited it to cooler weather, and the hens not needing as much water to stay cool. But today when I got home and let them out, they rushed the open waterer out in the pen and gulped like they'd been in the desert, even though there was plenty water in the nipple bucket.

I also noticed no eggs today, not a one from 4 laying hens! I figure this must be because they haven't been drinking much for a few days. Is this a reasonable assumption?

What can I do to get them to drink from the nipples again? I've cleaned the waterer throughly, using a bit of bleach in case something had "gone off" in there that I couldn't detect. I hope they start using it agin now that it's freshened. Such an odd thing!

Are you sure the nipples are still letting out water? Some nipples are adjustable to allow more or less water to flow.
Yes, I checked them. They were flowing just fine! I made sure to show the girls the fresh water after I replaced it in the coop, and when I clicked the nipples, plenty of water was flowing. (I don't think I have the adjustable kind)

pick up each chiken and show them where the water is at by pressing the nipple and letting them see the water coming out.

Is your container airtight? The only time I've heard of chickens stopping use was when there was no water coming out and that happens when a vacuum forms. You need an airhole above the water line.

Otherwise, I suspect that you saw novelty water gorging. Chickens are hardwired to take full advantage when a new water source is discovered. They'll drink like they've been in a desert no matter what their normal source is and they don't much care if the new source is a nasty mud puddle.

Back
Top Bottom