Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

I had no idea he would be such a character! And the little seb thats up and around is almost as active. If Sqeeky wasn't so big, I'd have a tough time telling them apart. All of them must be grays. :-( Glad they are alive though, and hope the two weaklings come around :)

Thanks QJ!

Yay for Squeeky!!! So precious!!

Hopefully Celtic will show up soon to answer questions about flippy babies and eggs that have not lost enough moisture.

Yay for Squeeky!!! So precious!!

Hopefully Celtic will show up soon to answer questions about flippy babies and eggs that have not lost enough moisture.

I could use her advice for the two weaker ones. They aren't exactly doing bad, they just seem sooooo tired and weak.

Glad to read your eggs are coming along nicely. I'll definatley be reading with interest how it goes with the buff dewlaps from Carole. My eggs were shipped yesterday. (oops, sound like a baby is flipped again -
hmm.png
- BYB)

Hmm, that didn't work long. NOw the little ones are in the box, and the big ones are in a much reduced in size towel nest, hopefully they can stay out of trouble for awhile. I might have to duct tape them in place tonight, so I can sleep w/o worrying about them flipping over. (Ok not really, but I've got to do something)

Marty, I can answer that question!
big_smile.png

Mix a drop polyvisol (without iron) and a dash of sugar into a few ounces of water and give your babies a few drops. Either use a dropper or wet a qtip tip really good.

My cayuga has been getting a drop of polyvisol water every 6-8 hours. He likes it and is doing well.

I use water w/sugar and salt, but I havn't yet. I'll go do that now. Thanks Iain! You've sure learned a lot in the last few monthes. I was an "expert" at hands off hatching, and I can ususally get the eggs to hatch, but not this spring. Now I feel like a blundering novice with these assisted hatches and weak A** babies.

Marty, Sebastopols aren't that easy to color ID at hatch. Whites are born with color on them. Until they dry and fluff there won't be a clue. Even then we won't really know until they feather out. It's the fun of the breed. Since they are from a mixed color flock there are a few possibilities for final color.

Day 25 and not enough moisture loss means they need double Collins at 20/30 min to get them in order. Wonky air cells should have been set angled and hand turned. If still wonky at hatch, it should be watched closely, but not helped unless 100% needed. Any helping should be done late and very slow and small.

Gotta go get the teen from school.

Use only tepid water with sugar not salt for the goslings. 1 tsp to 1 cup of water and 1 drop poly vi sol withOUT iron. Offer with a dropper or from the tip of a qtip. Careful to not have them asperate the fluids when hydrating them.

Back
Top Bottom