Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Hi bullcreek, glad that you were able to get more weight loss! Shadows start in the back... within 12-24 hours, you will see shadows creeping into front and side. If you look closely at the reddish fluid inside the membrane, you will see it turn kinda brownish/orangish and lose its veiny look. Within 12-24 hours after that the baby should internally pip.

Iain to the rescue again! lol. You're awesome. I think I did notice shadowing moving down towards the front on the egg that was furthest along. I will have to check the membrane color when I get home tonight. Is it normal for the eggs to have such a difference in development, when they were all set at the same time? I'm wondering, since I don't know which eggs are Toulouse/African and which are just Toulouse, whether the late bloomers are perhaps the mixes... I think I read that Africans can take a bit longer? Dunno... perhaps I'm imagining things. Anyhoo, thanks so much for the response!
big_smile.png

Thanks!
big_smile.png

It is the other way around... africans typically take less time than toulouse. Different breeds will give you varying hatch times. Also, if there are hot spots in your bator, those will hatch earlier too.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

It is the other way around... africans typically take less time than toulouse. Different breeds will give you varying hatch times. Also, if there are hot spots in your bator, those will hatch earlier too.

Ah ha! So I was imagining things. My brain is mushy some days.
smile.png
The "hot spots" info is new to me too. So much to learn, though this thread in particular has taught me a heck of a lot. Looking forward to correcting some mistakes on the next batch. Thanks again for the info, Iain!

Figured it would be ok to show pics of the first set of goslings I hatched out. Here are the parents, waiting for me to let their babies out this morning:

My babies running to me. They like the goose/gander, but still see me as "mom".

Hanging by their water bucket:

Parents standing guard when I leave property:

Iain, great pictures.

Kawonu will keep you posted on the hatching. Will want help on making selections for breeders this fall too.

Goosed, typically they don't get too lost, but the PO sort facilities forget to scan them and then you have no idea where they are. I had it explained today that their destination was suppose to be a two day delivery because of routing and having to avoid the dry ice shipments out of FL. So they were on time for the two day. However they marked them 1 day so the buyer gets her shipping money back now.

I have had great success shipping lives, will continue to do so, and will continue to insure every box for just in case. I usually over insure lives because with things like goslings you have an age issue and replacement value at day old is different from 1 month and fall juvenile.

Just removed all temp legs bands around here today. Adults have numbered leg bands on, goslings all have numbered ID wing bands put on. Invested in brass numbered wing bands with the farm name on them for all of our hatchlings. Will make tracing parents easy down the road.

My air cells are too small and hatch day is Monday. I've stopped adding water and am at 30% humidity. Thoughts?

I really want these Sebs.

Also one air cell is wonky.. kinda like an ocean wave. Thoughts on that too.

Got home and babies still alive, but two flipped over. DH came home and flipped them too. Guess I'm gonna have to rig individual spaces. Two are "walking" around, and falling over and onto everyone, and two want to sleep just a little longer, they are still a bit weak.
Here is sqeeky

And here is everyone in the bator

Guess I should think about moving two of them to a brooder, so the other two can rest.

QJ, today is day 25? Not sure if misting/cooling for 30 minutes for the next 3 days would help? FYI, my cayugas did not lose enough moisture and we know how that went for me this week. At least my one guy (who I opened up 46 hours ago) looks to finally be getting close to hatching.... definitely by tonight.

Back
Top Bottom