Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Welcome, yes daily cooling is important. If you are following Pete's guide you can change the length of time they are cooled depending on the weight loss to stay close to target. Just remember the guide is just that a guide. You can vary the length of time for cooling based on your eggs needs.

Celtic, thanks... I am going to try the shoes in a few minutes. Poor thing has his legs under him and so tries to run, but loses balance after a few steps, falls over and rolls on his back. Hope these shoes work!! I have my spraddle leg baby hobbled now and he is doing much better. He can stand and walk without doing splits. Pretty sure he will be just fine in a few days.

AAA, did I read your weights right? At set time it was 139 grams and at halfway point it is 116 grams? According to my math, it has already lost 16% weight, which is not good. Do you see the baby moving inside egg when candling??

If I read your post and did the math correctly, I would bump humidity to 55% and not mist. Celtic, what do you think??

Sorry the pic is hard to see. These two hatched today, they are from the first setting. The others are (2) internally pipped and (2) working on it. The others have quite on me. Hopefully the other 3 buffs and the one gray will arrive ok. I guess maybe the gray, if its a boy, can hang with Luna the girl. (I used my 12 year old, and we sexed Luna, it actually was easy with the help of a good set of eyes.
love.gif
love.gif

I got a great mother's day present: Goslings hatched!
celebrate.gif

Out of 5 Buff Saddleback Pomeranian eggs from Kawonu that went into lock-down (started with 6-one quit last week), I now have three goslings fully hatched and one half way out. I was helping the 5th one throughout the day, but it was very weak and sadly did not make it.
sad.png

I put the oldest in the brooder with the 2 one-wee-old Pomeranian goslings Celtic sent this past week (the larger two graduated to a kennel on the floor with the bigger juveniles).

I still have 5 eggs from my Pommers that will hatch throughout the first 10 days of June and then per the agreement I have with my husband, my incubators get turned off for the season.

Now I am busy securing eggs for next year. I have located two flocks of historic Pomeranians (come from old original German lines). Not only do they have completely pink beaks, legs and feet, but they have them in white, buff, gray, gray saddleback, and buff saddleback as well. I am emailing back and forth with breeder number one trying to secure hatching eggs for next season and am awaiting a reply from breeder number two to see if he sells eggs, goslings, or adult birds. If I can get these lined up for next season I will be the happiest woman in the world.
yesss.gif

Heck, I may even convince my husband that I need some of the other colors, especially the solid buff (even though they are not admitted to the APA standard). Wish me luck!
fl.gif
celebrate.gif
fl.gif

Marty, congrats on the new hatches!
Iain, yes the shoes work wonders on the curled feet. Sooner the better to get them on, watch for straddle leg as they slide in the shoes more often.
Erin...x1000 what Marty said. If the bator is smelling you have something going wrong. If you can put the eggs in another bator I would fill a storage box with a hot water, a couple of drops of soap and a cap full of bleach. Submerge the bator bottom (assuming its styro) and weight down with a brick or something heavy. Let it soak 10-15 minutes. Scrubb and rinse with hot water. Then you can air dry it. The top you will have to just hand scrub to protect the heating element.
Aaajjss .... You are early in incubation, I wouldn't raise the humidity at all. I actually run ours much lower than that until they internally pip. If I run it that high I end up loosing eggs to too much fluid left at hatch.
Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend and lovely mothers day. We have an EE chicken order hatching to ship this week. Goslings leaving for their new homes again this week too. We even have a couple of goslings extra this week to list for sale.
The bobcat managed to rip a welded wire door off a building (similar to the wire on the pet kennels) this weekend. Hubby lost a female adult French white Scovy as she panicked and headed for the pasture. Our male Pyr was on it, but the cat went back over the fence, the poor duck tried to go through the fence and broke her neck from what we could tell.
hugs.gif

So we cut wood to build solid doors for all three stalls on that building. They have double hinges and double latches on each. No more break ins going to happen now. We have to cut vents and screen the, in now though to give extra ventalation. Luckily the building has airflow soffits that are covered in window screen and hardware cloth. So will do the same for the new vent windows we cut and build.
thumbsup.gif

Well on our way to having half of the front fenced in as well as the gates done on the driveway. Had one too many "drop in" customers even though the signs say open Sat only. Now during the week I won't have anyone pulling up the drive unwanted.
highfive.gif

I would keep cooling personally. I may alter the length of time though. I would be afraid of the aircell not developing and having a bad hatch. By bad hatch I am referring to anything that requires any assistance to not hatching at all.

When I candled last night goosie baby was moving alot. I am still cooling once daily I just wondered if I should stop misting. I want a sebbie baby sooo badly this is my last of seven eggs I got one all the way to 25 days then it died when I moved to still air bator.
th.gif

Iain, yes you did read it right, 16% was what I figured as well (glad I did the math right.) I am not sure how accurate my scale is, its an old weight watchers scale. and it weighs in ounces, where can I get a scale that weighs grams?

I will defer to Celtic's advice, as she is the expert sebbie hatcher.

You can get a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams pretty much anywhere that sells kitchen appliances.

I'm too scared of hurting my curled toe baby by forcing feet open, so I've got a call out to the local dvm. If dvm has experience with this, then I will take baby there this afternoon.

Iain, this may sound harsh and I am sorry in advance if you think so. Why would you PAY a DVM with no aviary experience to do something they have no previous experience in doing that will take you literally 5 min or less to do at home?

Trace a quarter on a cereal box or similar cardboard. Place the circles onto medical tape (not bet wrap) stand gosling up and spread foot flat (it doesn't hurt them, it hurts more to walk on curled toes) wrap tape up and over the foot pressing lightly. Repeat on other foot.

Take vet wrap and wrap around outside of medical tape a d circle to give traction.

Done, easy, and no vet bill to someone who hasn't done it before. This isn't a veterinary treatment, it's a treatment passed onto us by peafowl keepers. It works andis painless.

You may need to hobble for straddle leg as they can slip more while in shoes.

3-5 days time they tend to be fine and shoes can be removed.

No worries, Celtic. I know you only want what is best for my gosling. I will only take baby to dvm IF he has experience. He is "the" dvm recommended by local poultry club and my dvms that see my dogs and horses. He is supposed to call me back when he is done with current client.

I did try to do the shoes. Have all the stuff sitting right here... cut out pieces of cardboard, vet wrap and tape. When I try to open foot too much, baby screams and pulls foot away and it freaks me out.

Back
Top Bottom