Here we go again.. More death and I don't know why!

Yes.  Unless you are using them for breeding purposes and must keep a spare, you only need one for a flock that size to reproduce your flock.  If you have three hens that are laying, then they are probably getting a lot of mating from three roosters...that's a lot of mating.   It would most likely help if they were penned separately from the flock, especially right now. 

The 3 are of laying age but have never layed.
I have 1 barred rock for breeding my barred rock hens, one silky rooster for my silky hens and i keep a belgian d'uccle penned away waiting on a hen of that breed. The oops rooster that i will get rid of is doing me no good i know.
My plan was that when the hens started laying i would pen the roosters. But you have told me what i needed to hear and will pen them in the a.m. i have a rooster house for them so no worries there.

And isnt cocci passed threw poop of infected birds? Breeding in wet grounds such as the wet grounds im having?
We know that birds build an immunity to cocci but does not mean that they will not have another flare if the conditions are right. They will be lifetime carriers.
Could it be that my birds are not getting a break from the cocci?
You mentioned clean soil. Any suggestions on how to clean my soil?
Besides sun and drought i know no way to clean protazoa from soil other than to use ultraviolet light (sun) and heat.
Im truely contemplating culling my whole flock. I am spending an arm and a leg in feed time and emotions with no results.

I'd cull those that are not thriving right now and that will eliminate a good bit of the problem. Cocci is present in all soils and in the intestines of all chickens, so poop or no poop, your birds are exposed to cocci...I'm thinking the excessively wet conditions has sent your normal numbers in the environment over the top. If you soil is over impacted, out of balance, and under wet conditions, the cocci that is present can go into overgrowth. It probably helps to have soil that has a healthy covering, good drainage and a healthy microbial life.

From everything I've ever read about coccidia, the only true way to prevent it ~naturally~is to have chickens with really good immune systems and good bowel cultures, low stocking rates so there isn't an overload of feces in the soil, healthy and well drained soils, and avoid feeding on the ground.

My very best defense against illness in the flock is dependence and trust in the Lord. I pray for my flock and place their ultimate health and well being in the hands of God and trust that He will take care of them and He does.

If you haven't already done so and you have a relationship with the Lord, you might want to pray for help.

wazine may not have gotten their parasites. Are you adding ACV to their water? It sounds like either nutrition or parasites are causing at least some of the problem and culling isn't going to make any difference if it is. I would try something like strike111 in their feed for a week on week off for a month, wait a month and worm with albendazole.

I'd cull those that are not thriving right now and that will eliminate a good bit of the problem.  Cocci is present in all soils and in the intestines of all chickens, so poop or no poop, your birds are exposed to cocci...I'm thinking the excessively wet conditions has sent your normal numbers in the environment over the top.   If you soil is over impacted, out of balance, and under wet conditions, the cocci that is present can go into overgrowth.   It probably helps to have soil that has a healthy covering, good drainage and a healthy microbial life.

From everything I've ever read about coccidia, the only true way to prevent it ~naturally~is to have chickens with really good immune systems and good bowel cultures, low stocking rates so there isn't an overload of feces in the soil, healthy and well drained soils, and avoid feeding on the ground.  

My very best defense against illness in the flock is dependence and trust in the Lord.  I pray for my flock and place their ultimate health and well being in the hands of God and trust that He will take care of them and He does. 

If you haven't already done so and you have a relationship with the Lord, you might want to pray for help. 

wazine may not have gotten their parasites. Are you adding ACV to their water?  It sounds like either nutrition or parasites are causing at least some of the problem and culling isn't going to make any difference if it is. I would try something like strike111 in their feed for a week on week off for a month, wait a month and worm with albendazole.

Thats what im thinking on the wazine.
I am not adding ACV to their water.....
But will give that a shot and try the strike111 and albendazole.
On the coccidia.....i have read that Corid only treats 3 forms of coccidia. And there are 9 that affect chickens.
Should i switch from the coccidistat (corid) to a broad spectrum coccidial?
By the way thank you for the advice.

Last edited:
Don't add the ACV while worming or medicating. If corrid doesn't seem to be working, I would try the broad spectrum, but I think unless you are sure its cocci, I would try the worming first. If your chickens are thin I would also treat them for stress and add natural yogurt to their feed for a couple of days after you worm. I would at least think about trying the below:

I don't know how many of you are into homeopathic remedies but one I have found that is excellent is oregano oil mixed in olive oil.
Its a very harsh and caustic oil so it HAS to be diluted but it will worm them and it appears to kill cocci almost instantly as well.
Been great for treating my pea babies because sometimes they don't look sick one minute and the next are at deaths door. About tablespoon of oil and 4 drops of oregano oil mixed in a cup and then droppered into the edge of their beaks so it doesn't go down wrong pipe. That much should treat 4 or 5 birds.

Oregano oil is pricey tho at health food stores. Online is much cheaper but those are only places you can get it.

Its saved quite a few of my birds now, had my flock rooster go down last week, found him in coop laying on side with head laying on ground. I didn't think I could save him but brought him in house and dosed him, within 2 hours he expelled a huge roundworm and up and runnin about!
Edited by thndrdancr - 12/3/14 at 9:29pm

Don't add the ACV while worming or medicating.  If corrid doesn't seem to be working, I would try the broad spectrum, but I think unless you are sure its cocci, I would try the worming first. If  your chickens are thin I would also treat them for stress and add natural yogurt to their feed for a couple of days after you worm.  I would at least think about trying the below:

I don't know how many of you are into homeopathic remedies but one I have found that is excellent is oregano oil mixed in olive oil.

Its a very harsh and caustic oil so it HAS to be diluted but it will worm them and it appears to kill cocci almost instantly as well.

Been great for treating my pea babies because sometimes they don't look sick one minute and the next are at deaths door. About tablespoon of oil and 4 drops of oregano oil mixed in a cup and then droppered into the edge of their beaks so it doesn't go down wrong pipe. That much should treat 4 or 5 birds.

Oregano oil is pricey tho at health food stores. Online is much cheaper but those are only places you can get it.

Its saved quite a few of my birds now, had my flock rooster go down last week, found him in coop laying on side with head laying on ground. I didn't think I could save him but brought him in house and dosed him, within 2 hours he expelled a huge roundworm and up and runnin about!

Edited by thndrdancr - 12/3/14 at 9:29pm
will definatly try the other worming method you mentioned.

Last edited:
These are the Corid doses I use:

20% Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.
9.6% Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

-Kathy
Thanks Kathy for the welcome.
Yes those doses should work fine.
But as i said i had major problems with cocci and am still unsure if i have it under control.
Is it so that Corid will only treat 3 of the 9 cocci that affect chickens?
I have singled out one of my sickest hens and am on my 3rd day of amoxicillin treatment! I have wormed with wazine and i am pulling my hair out over this. I am spending 5 or more hours a day picking up poop the coop is impeccably clean.
Here is my set up......
Free range, feed a grower that is lacto bacillious fermented, starting adding 1 cup a day of ground up cat feed (32% protien) to the diet after the fermentation process. A scoop of rooster booster. My girls are all thin as a rail!!!! Breast bone sharp and protruding.
Because i've lost 3 hens i now only have 3 hens that are laying age (no eggs yet) 18 months. And 3 mature roosters. That are very healthy and full breasted.
Could it be so simple as i have too many roosters?

Wazine only treats roundworms, so you might want to try Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days. That dose will treat almost all poultry worms.

As for Corid only treating three strains, I haven't read that. Where did you see that?

-Kathy

wazine may not have gotten their parasites. Are you adding ACV to their water?  It sounds like either nutrition or parasites are causing at least some of the problem and culling isn't going to make any difference if it is. I would try something like strike111 in their feed for a week on week off for a month, wait a month and worm with albendazole.

Wazine will treat a large percentage of just large roundworms, but that's only if they drink enough medicated water. Probably best to try Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days. That dose will treat large roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom