Here we go again

hnorth

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2023
I ordered a batch of bielefelder hatching eggs on ebay and are due to come on Saturday.

I did this with eyes wide open, considering the distance ( Chicago to NorCal), time of the year, and my crumby record with shipped eggs. batch #1 1/12, batch #2 0/0 and batch # 3 0/0.

I did locate a local source of mixed barnyard eggs, if all else fails. so there's that.

I have dialed in my homemade 2 bulb coolerbator to a consistent 37.5 degrees for a week straight. I am using two calibrated thermometers that match temp/humidity readings. Honestly, I would be happy with a 50% hatch rate.

So I thought I'd give it another try. Here we go again.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I have to hand it to you for your determination. I've purchased eggs from eBay three times and got about 70% but usually it's 100% when it's my own.

When they come, do you leave them sit out for at least 12 hours or so? I stuck mine in an egg carton and sat it near the incubator overnight then pop them in early in the morning.

I really hope this is the time you get a great hatch!! You deserve it! 🤞

Do you have 1/2 inch air holes, one on lower side wall and the other on near the top opposite side wall?

It creates cross air flow to let the eggs breathe.

Since I been doing ebay eggs for a couple of years now. The issues are always with usps from there handling.

I been using hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle to mist the eggs if they come in dirty. To reduce any bacteria on the shell.

Then I let them rest in the incubator for 3 days in the egg carton. After the resting period I remove the egg carton and rest the eggs on its side and start turning them 3 times a day.

At 6 or 7th day I candle the eggs looking for blood webbing and remove the blank eggs.

I had pretty good results with this method for shipped eggs. It took careful overview of my past failures to improve my success rate.

I ordered a batch of bielefelder hatching eggs on ebay and are due to come on Saturday.

I did this with eyes wide open, considering the distance ( Chicago to NorCal), time of the year, and my crumby record with shipped eggs. batch #1 1/12, batch #2 0/0 and batch # 3 0/0.

I did locate a local source of mixed barnyard eggs, if all else fails. so there's that.

I have dialed in my homemade 2 bulb coolerbator to a consistent 37.5 degrees for a week straight. I am using two calibrated thermometers that match temp/humidity readings. Honestly, I would be happy with a 50% hatch rate.

So I thought I'd give it another try. Here we go again.
The local PO just called and I popped down there to pick up the eggs. No dents on exterior box and each egg was wrapped in taped bubble wrap. I candled each one and there were no cracked ones. Travel time was a total of 2 days and were not overly cold. or frozen. The breeder sent an extra egg. Now I will let them rest, fat end up for at least 6 hours.

I've been running the coolerbator for 48 hrs and it stays in the correct (37.0-37.5) temp range. Here we go again.

out of 11, 6 made it to lockdown and then all were quitters. Im going to take a long break from trying to hatch shipped eggs. I have an order if 25 Icelandic chicks due in March. I'll just go from there with my project.

Back
Top Bottom