Here we go - peafowl under broody? hatch success? - day 6

alibabba

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Southeast PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

Question: What kind of hatch can I expect from the 3 developing eggs I have under my bestest broody? How frequently have you candled the eggs and then have the eggs quit?

Thanks in advance!

Backround:
Just for fun (well it started thataway) I tried to find hatching eggs a few weeks ago.
Oh... there's a breeding season? And it's over??? :hit

A sweetheart on BYC, was more than generously willing to work with me to give it a go!

Shall remain nameless unless they want to step forward.

6 eggs, packed fantastically. Gave them to my most Serious broody(what luck!) and 3 look good.

So, not alot of info here on Broody raised, or raised with chickens other than DISEASE! Alot of people pull eggs and incubate at some point. That's not for me. Doing my research on what meds I will need for Cocci, worming, blackhead etc.

But mainly want to see if I might actually get 3 peachicks!

(ETA, so funny she actually looked like I was giving her the best promotion and raise ever when I gave her those big ole eggs!)

Last edited:
Hi, I have not done Peafowl, however chickens yes, I currently have 4 eggs under my best broody.

I candle 7th 14th and 18th days out of the 21days hatch time.

The hatch will all depend on your broody, day 18 is when you will see a full vein pumping egg, I find once I see that, I'm successful.

Hatching season in Australia is best starting November.

Hope I helped.

My Sister hatched 4 Out of 4 peachicks, and even today the broody chicken mummy is still with them. The males have started honking.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    750.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3609.JPG
    IMG_3609.JPG
    461.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi, I have not done Peafowl, however chickens yes, I currently have 4 eggs under my best broody.

I candle 7th 14th and 18th days out of the 21days hatch time.

The hatch will all depend on your broody, day 18 is when you will see a full vein pumping egg, I find once I see that, I'm successful.

Hatching season in Australia is best starting November.

Hope I helped.

My Sister hatched 4 Out of 4 peachicks, and even today the broody chicken mummy is still with them. The males have started honking.

That's encouraging!! Thank you!

My best hatches come from under my bantam Cochins and Silkies. I have hatched close to 60 chicks this summer with most of them hatching under my chickens. I do not let them raise them due to snakes, cats, hawks or any other harmful craziness that would befall them so i brooder raise but my birds stay broody most all summer every year so I use them to hatch my pea chicks.
Good luck! It is always fun and amazing!

My best hatches come from under my bantam Cochins and Silkies. I have hatched close to 60 chicks this summer with most of them hatching under my chickens. I do not let them raise them due to snakes, cats, hawks or any other harmful craziness that would befall them so i brooder raise but my birds stay broody most all summer every year so I use them to hatch my pea chicks.
Good luck! It is always fun and amazing!
Great to hear! If these do well here.... My broodies will have a new hobby as well!

Pen 7 has a India blue black shoulder pied white eyed male in with a white hen not sure her background, spalding split BS and pied hen and IB BS hen she could be split pied
Pen 8 had a two year old white male he was out of IB SP and a IB Pied hen I hatched a pied and white chick from them this past weekend the Wednesday before I shipped you eggs sold white male and she was put in with my 19 year old IB BS split pied male he his the only male that I have at this time that still has his full train, the eggs you got should of been fertilized by white male. She is still laying hoping she decides to set like last year she hatched chicks last year mid September and brooded them all winter.

My 15 year old son is researching pea genetics and is enthralled.
Thank you!
Not much gets a 15 year olds attention these days.
We may now brood indoors, he has offered his services. (Shhh, girls probably really dig peafowl)
Warmest regards. I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom