heritage breed pigs

Kenneth Flippen

Songster
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
I thought I had already posted this but can't find it

anybody familiar with them I've been trying to talk myself into trying a pig or 2 I'm interested in the Red Wattle pigs or the Large Black Pigs unless theres another heritage breed I'm not aware of these are the only 2 I've came across I would like to let them run the pasture with my goats but was wondering if they would root everything up or just under the trees to find acorns and other nuts and fruits? whats needed to keep them, housing? will they eat you out of house and home?etc... we rasised a few pigs when I was younger but thats been 15yrs ago don't remember alot of it. any info, tips, pros, cons will be appreciated

Kenneth Flippen

I raise Gloucestershire old spots. I love them. They aren't as large as a red wattle or large black. They only get up to about 500 lbs. They are also root the least of all the pigs. Ours have a few wallows and that is about it. They pasture with the goats and the jersey heifer. They eat pasture, hay, excess veggies, and we supplement with a little food. We have a boar and 3 sows. Currently I have 6 little ones running around. 2 have been sold and should be picked up in the next week or so. I have also raised a few york/hamp crosses and will tell you that they were crazy and would try to root to China. GOSs are also very gentle. Check out http://gosamerica.org/index.html

I talked to a guy a short time ago about some heritage breed pigs that are evidently kinda rare.
He and a small group of people in our area have bought several and are now breeding them trying to help with the population of them. They are called guinea hogs. From what I gathered they are
a smallish breed that does real good foraging on small acreage. There was a website telling
all about the guinea hogs but I don't have it handy anymore.

I bought 2 razorback weaned piglets last year. I put them in a barnlot of about 1/4 acre. 3 days later, they had so much grass tore up, I shipped them off. They were the most destructive little buggars I've ever seen. We raised Yorkshires when I was a kid, but they were in the hog barn & couldn't tear anything up.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help looks like there might be a few GOS hogs fairly close I haven't been able to find any of the 2 breeds I mentioned around me.

Kenneth Flippen

Are you looking for registered stock, feeder pigs, or what? I may be able to help you locate what you are looking for. Where are you also?

Dobson, N.C. I haven't really put alot of thought into registered or not, I may be interested in either one. do you feed a lard type pig any different from the commercial type meat pigs? I know everybody around here just has pigs no paticular breed and they want them grow as fast as they can get them to

what price do you sell yours for?

Kenneth Flippen

well I have found some Large blacks in N.C. only a couple of hours drive it amazes me how few there are of these breeds in the US. I would like to try registered stock just help keep one of these breeds going. I also came across another breed that caught my eye in trying to do my research "Hereford hogs" I liked thier coloring neat looking pigs, I think the wife liked them also. I have contacted the guy in my state with the blacks he said he only has 2 sows and is going to mississippi to pick up a boar in Sept and plans to have registered pigs around Jan. he priced them at $400 does that sound normal for the price?

Kenneth Flippen

There is a farmer in my area that raises Berkshires. It is the best pork I've ever eaten. I know that he raises from farrow to finish, and pastures his pigs. The meat is marbled, juicy and so flavorful. I want to like the pan every time I cook the pork chops.

Back
Top Bottom