Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm basically a lurker here, and I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised the Jersey Giant isn't mentioned more often as a true dual-purpose breed. More than likely, that's because they do take a good amount of time to grow out. However, even though they take so long to reach full maturity, surprisingly, they start laying much sooner than one might think; my line typically begins lay at about 28 weeks. And, they are good layers of XL to Jumbo sized eggs. The spent layers make nice eating. Very full & wide in the breast; lots of meat, and the males have massive legs. I do not caponize, but my Giant mentor does, and folks often mistake a roasted Giant on her table for a turkey. Alright, that may have sounded like a commercial; sorry about that! Love my Giants.
I'm a lurker, too. After reading your ode to the Jersey Giant, I had a look at your website. I have never seen a Splash Jersey Giant before - what a GORGEOUS bird!

Quote: It's the only way to go. There are still certain things we buy once every few months (coffee for instance). But in general if we don't raise it or grow it, then we don't eat it.
If we don't want to raise or grow it and we have friends with similar philosophies, then we will swap with them... pork for instance.
I have no desire to raise pigs, so we swap pork for lamb, beef, chicken or venison.
I have adult children who have never been on antibiotics and grand parents in their 90s who have never been in a hospital or even had an IV.
And don't even get me started about vaccinations. If we don't receive them, then why would I give them to my poultry? (or other livestock)

One other thing, DavidILoveYou22,
Do listen to the other breeders and start with started birds.
I made the mistake 5 times of trying to start with eggs or
day old chicks. One can't see the quality of the birds-to-come
with eggs nor with day olds. I finally succeeded when a generous breeder allowed me to purchase some started Light Sussex from his
show flock. He had already culled the birds several times for
excellence so I would have a good start in the breed.
This is a good time of year to look for started birds. Breeders are
downsizing their flocks for over-wintering between breeding
seasons. Some really nice started birds out there. Another thing
is... if you start with started birds, you will still be on track to
begin hatching this Spring. Not so if you start with eggs.
Best,
Karen
In another life, living on the corner of Hillsborough Dr. and
Cedarhurst Ct. in Cameron Park.
x100

Great point Karen.

Quote: It's the only way to go. There are still certain things we buy once every few months (coffee for instance). But in general if we don't raise it or grow it, then we don't eat it.
If we don't want to raise or grow it and we have friends with similar philosophies, then we will swap with them... pork for instance.
I have no desire to raise pigs, so we swap pork for lamb, beef, chicken or venison.
I have adult children who have never been on antibiotics and grand parents in their 90s who have never been in a hospital or even had an IV.
And don't even get me started about vaccinations. If we don't receive them, then why would I give them to my poultry? (or other livestock)
THank you for the encouragement. Moving toward organic, sustainable and homegrown and it is all because of a darn chicken, our first chicken a few years ago.

I am in North west Florida. Florida requires NPIP testing. My flock of Light Sussex, Columbian Plymouth Rocks and Modern Game Bantams are NPIP clean. I prefer to have my birds tested at home as opposed to waiting till the day of the show due to the stress it puts on the birds and in the case of the Sussex and the Rocks I do not want bloody white wings prior to showing if the tester isn't quite on mark with his/hers testing skills. I trust the tester here and consider him a friend.
MG and Coryza are problematic in our area. A friend was having a terrible time with her birds and called the state in to help her figure out what was going on. Needless to say it was MG and Coryza. They said to cull (kill) the whole flock. She could not sell any birds (except for butcher) and only sell eggs for eating (none for hatching). She was devastated. Due to the fact that she was also NPIP, her NPIP number has an alert posted to it that says her flock is contaminated, she can't show under her number. She now has new stock that is housed at my place and show under my number untill the state can get back out to test her facility and soil for the all clear. So in this case the NPIP was a good thing to keep her from spreading this to other flocks by showing birds that were not showing symptoms but were carriers.
Fowl pox here is a given. All young birds seem to get it. They are Frankenstiens for a couple of weeks and then it's gone. Never had a case of wet pox in the last 6 years.
I had the pleasure of knowing Bob Blosl personally. At first his bluntness grated on me. (I was a nooby) Then as time passed I realize just how wise he was. For any nooby ( seasoned vet too) here I would really suggest that you go back and read his post on EVERYTHING!! He started me with my Columbian Rocks and was extremely helpful with any question I threw at him. Needless to say I will miss him something awful. As will everyone in the Panhandle Poultry Club. Really anyone who had the pleasure of crossing paths with him. Holly

Last edited:
I am want hatch in late Feb. and all of March. What date should I turn on lights and how many hours a day?
I normally set my lights to come on about 1 month before I plan to gather eggs. Not sure about daylight hours where you are, but I set mine to come on at 5am, and go off at 830am. I try to get the birds 13 hours of "light"

Hope that helps

BTW - always add light in the AM, not the PM

I am in North west Florida. Florida requires NPIP testing. My flock of Light Sussex, Columbian Plymouth Rocks and Modern Game Bantams are NPIP clean. I prefer to have my birds tested at home as opposed to waiting till the day of the show due to the stress it puts on the birds and in the case of the Sussex and the Rocks I do not want bloody white wings prior to showing if the tester isn't quite on mark with his/hers testing skills. I trust the tester here and consider him a friend.
MG and Coryza are problematic in our area. A friend was having a terrible time with her birds and called the state in to help her figure out what was going on. Needless to say it was MG and Coryza. They said to cull (kill) the whole flock. She could not sell any birds (except for butcher) and only sell eggs for eating (none for hatching). She was devastated. Due to the fact that she was also NPIP, her NPIP number has an alert posted to it that says her flock is contaminated, she can't show under her number. She now has new stock that is housed at my place and show under my number untill the state can get back out to test her facility and soil for the all clear. So in this case the NPIP was a good thing to keep her from spreading this to other flocks by showing birds that were not showing symptoms but were carriers.
Fowl pox here is a given. All young birds seem to get it. They are Frankenstiens for a couple of weeks and then it's gone. Never had a case of wet pox in the last 6 years.
I had the pleasure of knowing Bob Blosl personally. At first his bluntness grated on me. (I was a nooby) Then as time passed I realize just how wise he was. For any nooby ( seasoned vet too) here I would really suggest that you go back and read his post on EVERYTHING!! He started me with my Columbian Rocks and was extremely helpful with any question I threw at him. Needless to say I will miss him something awful. As will everyone in the Panhandle Poultry Club. Really anyone who had the pleasure of crossing paths with him.
Holly

When is the show when you will be showing the Columbians? I'm anxious to see what the judges have to say

I've settled on my breeder male for next year, I'll post a pix later this weekend. He is a STUD

Thanks

Scott

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with picking out a breed of chicken for my first bunch of show quality birds? Me and my best friend are going to be buying hatching eggs, but can't seem to find any breeds we like that would be good for beginners.
We are looking for anything big (rooster 8-10 pounds, hens 6-8 or something similar), easy to breed, somewhat easy to handle, pretty (by this we mainly mean not plain black or white birds) and in a colour in the SOP... please help us, we need to find a breed soon!

Thanks,
David.
Hi DavidILoveYou22
Where are you at in El Dorado County? That could be a consideration in your choice of breeds. if you are at as low an elevation as El Dorado Hills, it is going to get a lot hotter for a lot longer than if you are in Pollock Pines or up near D.L. Bliss State Park. How much heat/rain/snow do you get each year? Some breeds and types of feathering do better in some climes than others.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom