Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Improvements for the 2014 Sweeter Heater! Yeah!
http://sweeterheater.com/page8.asp
Q&A using Sweeter Heater for chicks:
http://sweeterheater.com/page7.asp
http://sweeterheater.com/page4.asp
Gail Damrow and the Sweeter Heater youtube :

Most impressive.
big_smile.png

:ya I should be having goat babies about mid July! Just had my goat dropped off from being at the breeders since February 15th. This will be her second kidding.

I last recall baby lamb/goats are born usually born in Jan-Feb might just be where I live but the Greeks are running around trying to find nice young lambs/goats ready for this Easter to slaughter at 35-40lbs is a nice weight without that smell.  To many people selling old lambs/goats and once they have sex they taste like poop.

Yes, I lamb in Jan and Feb. I would never lamb after March here in the south east. Growth rates and parasites will slow you down if you do. Lambing in the cold means healthy lamb that are weaned as the grass starts coming in and I haven't had to worm in 3 yrs. Since my 60 day weaning rates are right at 54 lbs I will have prime weights this year for Easter since it's not until late April. I have 3 trailer loads of meat lambs already sold locally to private customers and 2 trailer loads spoken for for the New Holland PA Easter sale. I sell lamb and beef for a living and 80% of my income for the year is in the spring.

Last edited:
Quote: Yes, I lamb in Jan and Feb. I would never lamb after March here in the south east. Growth rates and parasites will slow you down if you do. Lambing in the cold means healthy lamb that are weaned as the grass starts coming in and I haven't had to worm in 3 yrs. Since my 60 day weaning rates are right at 54 lbs I will have prime weights this year for Easter since it's not until late April. I have 3 trailer loads of meat lambs already sold locally to private customers and 2 trailer loads spoken for for the New Holland PA Easter sale. I sell lamb and beef for a living and 80% of my income for the year is in the spring.
Good luck-- hope all goes well over the next few weeks!!

A son's friend asked for lamb burgers for an overnight camping trip ( all about 11 yrs old) and I did thaw out a pkg of ground lamb and broiled 3 burgers for him!! HE ate all 3!! ALways happy to support a budding lamb buyer! We produce just for our own use.

Really I have ordered different birds other than Delawares I have ordered...
4 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
2 Delawares
2 Americana's
2 Red Silkies
2 Mille Fleur D'uccles
And I all ready have...
1 Cublaya
1 Sebright
2 Easter Eager's
1 Americana
2 Silkies (white and blue)
2 Mixes Between Red Sex-link And Dominecker
1 Austerlorp
1 White Leg Horn
And if my brain didn't get messed up I have 9 Red-Sex Links!

P.S. I am getting my Chicks April The 28Th or 29Th!

Quote: Yes, I lamb in Jan and Feb. I would never lamb after March here in the south east. Growth rates and parasites will slow you down if you do. Lambing in the cold means healthy lamb that are weaned as the grass starts coming in and I haven't had to worm in 3 yrs. Since my 60 day weaning rates are right at 54 lbs I will have prime weights this year for Easter since it's not until late April. I have 3 trailer loads of meat lambs already sold locally to private customers and 2 trailer loads spoken for for the New Holland PA Easter sale. I sell lamb and beef for a living and 80% of my income for the year is in the spring.
Good luck-- hope all goes well over the next few weeks!!

A son's friend asked for lamb burgers for an overnight camping trip ( all about 11 yrs old) and I did thaw out a pkg of ground lamb and broiled 3 burgers for him!! HE ate all 3!! ALways happy to support a budding lamb buyer! We produce just for our own use.

I use to own the licensed sheep dairy here... raised more than 300 bucket lambs a year and milked 150 ewes twice a day.
When I had the opportunity to sell the dairy and cheese processing facility two years ago I switched to meat only - a LOT less work and no employees.
wink.png

I use to own the licensed sheep dairy here... raised more than 300 bucket lambs a year and milked 150 ewes twice a day.
When I had the opportunity to sell the dairy and cheese processing facility two years ago I switched to meat only - a LOT less work and no employees.
wink.png
I work on a Brown Swiss cow dairy we also have 80 meat mix ewes. We are about 3/4 of the way done lambing and just started spring calving. Busy time of year for us needless to say. Interesting about the sheep dairy. Very cool. Although raising 300 bucket lambs sounds like a pain.

I last recall baby lamb/goats are born usually born in Jan-Feb might just be where I live but the Greeks are running around trying to find nice young lambs/goats ready for this Easter to slaughter at 35-40lbs is a nice weight without that smell. To many people selling old lambs/goats and once they have sex they taste like poop.
Next year I plan on having both of them kid around March. Last year all my dates got screwed up since she was refusing to take. I also have Nigerians, so they cycle year round. No meat goats here! LOL 35-40 pounds is full grown for them! I might get a wether to butcher this year, but I have a lot of chicken stuff to do. Don't know if he will fit in the plans this year. Might have to wait until next year.

Back
Top Bottom