Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Agreed, @gjensen There is more and more research about how to increase the health of industrial poultry, and I think the current trend to look into whole grains as a way to boost gut health is interesting.

We just reviewed our custom feed with our mill ... they are now offering a feed with loose whole grains and a nutrient-dense pellet (their pellets are quite small, a size chickens find attractive), and I specifically asked if something like that might be healthier for our birds. The nutritionist said our current feed system is still healthier than their new "boutique" feed with the loose grains.

Our system is a custom pellet, with whole wheat as scratch, all the seasonal forage they care to go after, extra oyster shell on the side, grit available in a hopper and on the ground. The pellet gives birds a better chance of getting all the nutrition they need, and they get plenty of other stuff to keep their gizzards healthy.

From day one, broody hens are digging up sand for the chicks to get into their gizzards ... it's always the chicks' first meal.

Agreed, @gjensen There is more and more research about how to increase the health of industrial poultry, and I think the current trend to look into whole grains as a way to boost gut health is interesting.

We just reviewed our custom feed with our mill ... they are now offering a feed with loose whole grains and a nutrient-dense pellet (their pellets are quite small, a size chickens find attractive), and I specifically asked if something like that might be healthier for our birds. The nutritionist said our current feed system is still healthier than their new "boutique" feed with the loose grains.

Our system is a custom pellet, with whole wheat as scratch, all the seasonal forage they care to go after, extra oyster shell on the side, grit available in a hopper and on the ground. The pellet gives birds a better chance of getting all the nutrition they need, and they get plenty of other stuff to keep their gizzards healthy.

From day one, broody hens are digging up sand for the chicks to get into their gizzards ... it's always the chicks' first meal.

Leslie, we are on the same page as this. When they have this, and some fresh, nutritional, and digestible greens all year . . . . The birds glow and reflect excellent condition. I like a good quality ration as their staple. Then throw them some whole grains, and make sure they have some greens. There is something to be said for food that is alive.

Leslie, we are on the same page as this. When they have this, and some fresh, nutritional, and digestible greens all year . . . . The birds glow and reflect excellent condition. I like a good quality ration as their staple. Then throw them some whole grains, and make sure they have some greens. There is something to be said for food that is alive.

Thats interesting because even in the brooder the first week I offer fine grit and within days they are eating
soaked Wheat - 3 day soak in water/ vinegar w/mother.

The Feeding Poultry classic book, the section on diseases, practically everything can be helped with fresh air, sunshine, tender greens, animal protein. Presuming they also get the complete ration.

For me, the tender greens are the hardest to manage as we have very dry summers and no irrigation. We seeded clover last year, and that helped a lot. It sprouts fast and doesn't dry out as fast.

The Feeding Poultry classic book, the section on diseases, practically everything can be helped with fresh air, sunshine, tender greens, animal protein. Presuming they also get the complete ration.

For me, the tender greens are the hardest to manage as we have very dry summers and no irrigation. We seeded clover last year, and that helped a lot. It sprouts fast and doesn't dry out as fast.

Extremely dry summer here and our clover patches got devastated. Had to spray weed , till and replant put they are doing good now.
What type clover did you plant . I have had Durana in one plot 3 years and it seemed to tolerate the dry better than Ladino .
Trying some Red clover and Chicory this year in a couple plots. Will see how that does.

I live in the Sandhills region of SC. The old shoreline when the seas were higher. The sand on my property is 6' + deep. I am not precisely sure where I would hit a layer of clay here. I have never seen it, and there is no top soil to speak of. That coupled with a tendency for what we call the Bermuda High to set up over us during the summer. . . . . we get very dry, very fast. When we get a good summer thunderstorm, the water is drained away immediately. The sun bakes the rest away. Just west and east of me is much better. It is this sand ridge that is so bad.

Much of what you mentioned concerning disease is related to the environment. There is nothing worse than dark, damp, and un ventilated living conditions. Very little will thrive in those conditions. I believe in letting them run. If we cannot, then they need good and open houses with large runs.

The sub clovers self-seed/spread. Short white clover sprouts up if you cut back taller weeds & grasses. Taller red clover is good habitat for bugs. I gather Dutch White clover is very nutritious, but needs to be re-seeded often. I gather different varieties work better in different conditions. We used a variety, mixed in with other stuff.

We need to re-seed a big area of the poultry pasture. I pitched a fit to get it prepped months ago. Now I have a fluffy field of damp and frozen soil. Grrrr.

But at least I have top soil!

The red, crimson, etc. do best here. They tolerate the more acidic soils better, though I still have to lime. With our soil conditions, if we do not get timely spring rain, they do not re seed well. We really need to re seed every second year. Maybe three, if all goes well. It is really questionable whether it is worth the cost here. I am better off encouraging wild plants, and over seeding with oats etc. Fortunately, we have a long growing season.

I just cannot bear to spend more on the greens than the rest of their feed. It can get expensive. I am always trying to learn where the balance is. Much of it is taking advantage of what I have.

ETA: Anyone know where to get chickpea seeds?

Last edited:
The red, crimson, etc. do best here. They tolerate the more acidic soils better, though I still have to lime. With our soil conditions, if we do not get timely spring rain, they do not re seed well. We really need to re seed every second year. Maybe three, if all goes well. It is really questionable whether it is worth the cost here. I am better off encouraging wild plants, and over seeding with oats etc. Fortunately, we have a long growing season.

I just cannot bear to spend more on the greens than the rest of their feed. It can get expensive. I am always trying to learn where the balance is. Much of it is taking advantage of what I have.

ETA: Anyone know where to get chickpea seeds?

I plant Clover etc for Chickens and also Deer[ the other red meat ]
I
was interested in Chickpeas but never got any to plant
They have them here: but shipping?
http://harrisburgstore.com/unfi-gar...ound-1-each/?gclid=CNKP0eCkuckCFQqVaAod5kgN4A

Back
Top Bottom