Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Quote: I did this too until I gave up on the clothes drier-- I just hang the clothes up on a rack or hangers and the moist air goes up the stairs to the incubator. Too dry here in the winter to dry hatch-- have to add a little water. In the spring and summer, no water added to the incubators.

Quote: One of the conudrums of terminology-- only works if we have the same definitions, lol; gets more complicated when its an enitrely new word. lol

Love this rack-- should fit into an LG too.

Guess the correct term is trays. Nothing special. right now I cut holes in the bottom of the cardboard ones like everyone else showed:

What I'm wondering is if anyone has just used the plastic trays from the incubator, and then just washed/sanitized them afterwards. For reference:

Sorry for any confusion. My mentor always called them egg racks when I was starting out so I always have too.
Perfect, thank you! My Father is the "egg man", just like the "milk man" in Vancouver, B.C. That is how he makes his living and raised our family. He is British and call them "Flats".

OK, I will be pointedly honest. Hope it comes across that I've no axe to grind, 'cause I certainly do not.

The Octogon 20 is a fine enough incubator. No issues there, but a pretty lousy hatcher. It simply has no head room and it isn't easy to clean, well…. none of them are super easy to clean, are they. Don't care for the rail system.

Anyhow, building a hatcher out of freezer chest or foam box is so dead easy and only costs around $30 not counting the box itself. Lots of folks have igloo chests by the half dozen in the garage. Omaha Steaks and other businesses like medical supplies ship in awesome foam boxes.

Hatch elsewhere. The added bonus is you can turn around your re-load times faster in the Brinsea.
I hate to agree with this. It's not that bad as long as you put some of that grippy shelf liner stuff in the bottom. Then most of the shell stuff stays on that so I can just toss it in the trash. Cleaning out the water reservoirs of the chicks fluff( or whatever it is ) is a different story though. Lots of wiping out with a rag. Plus with it being winter I have both water reservoirs filled and am only achieving a 45% RH. Once I start getting more decent sized hatches I will use my homemade bator since it will be easier to clean.

I hate to agree with this. It's not that bad as long as you put some of that grippy shelf liner stuff in the bottom. Then most of the shell stuff stays on that so I can just toss it in the trash. Cleaning out the water reservoirs of the chicks fluff( or whatever it is ) is a different story though. Lots of wiping out with a rag. Plus with it being winter I have both water reservoirs filled and am only achieving a 45% RH. Once I start getting more decent sized hatches I will use my homemade bator since it will be easier to clean.

The shelf liner is washable. Run it through the clothes washer instead of tossing it.

Perfect, thank you! My Father is the "egg man", just like the "milk man" in Vancouver, B.C. That is how he makes his living and raised our family. He is British and call them "Flats".
I always heard them called flats also. The carton type ones, the plastic one might be trays. Everything depends on regions.

Back
Top Bottom