Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Found this egg this morning. This pullet has been laying for over 6 weeks. This is her egg from yesterday beside it.

Found this egg this morning. This pullet has been laying for over 6 weeks. This is her egg from yesterday beside it.
Wow, Neil, that's a honking big egg.
lau.gif
I have my Blosl pullet and 2 XW White Rock pullets that are about 7 or more mo old and no egg. But I got my first egg today (even with no light) and I was thrilled until I noticed it was white/light blue ish. One of the two Super Blue Egg Layers. Born around the same time. sigh. Nobody wants to give me eggs. I have the pole and timer ready, just no Christmas lights. ha

I'm looking for a heritage breed to fit my needs and I thought I'd come to the most knowlageble people I know
My breed preferences are
American breed (optional)
Good egg layer
Culls make nice meat birds
Easy keeper (optional)
Setter(broody)
Good mama
Good forager
Heat and cold resistant
HARDY
Thanks I know this is very specific but the American breed part Is just something I would like but if not possible iI can do with out

I'm looking for a heritage breed to fit my needs and I thought I'd come to the most knowlageble people I know
My breed preferences are
American breed (optional)
Good egg layer
Culls make nice meat birds
Easy keeper (optional)
Setter(broody)
Good mama
Good forager
Heat and cold resistant
HARDY
Thanks I know this is very specific but the American breed part Is just something I would like but if not possible iI can do with out
New Hampshires or Delawares, both American breeds :) Of the lines I have/have had, both are good layers, decent butchering size by 20 weeks (New Hamps more so than my current re-created line of Dels. which mature much slower), good broodies/mama's in individual birds, (not all have gone broody), good foragers and hardy. They have done well in Oregon temps. which are fairly moderate, maybe a week or two in summer 100 deg. or a little more, mostly 80 - 90 deg. in the heat of summer, Winters, occasionally, a week or two lower 20's or a little colder, generally high 20's low 30's in the coldest part of winter.

Back
Top Bottom