Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Regarding cholesterol in eggs, I read a thing that tested store bit regular, store bought organic, pastured regular, pastured organic, and pastured soy free eggs. It suggested pastured eggs have a more healthy fat balance (omega 3 to omega 6) over caged eggs, but pastured soy-free eggs had the best fat balance. I don't know if the study was controlled by breed.

Humans REQUIRE cholesterol to be able to form hormones, from thyroid to sex hormones, and to maintain healthy cell membranes. (Damaged cell membranes are the first step in forming atherosclerotic plaques.) Anti-inflammatory fatty acids (mostly the omega-3s,) also help heal damaged cell membranes. Pro-inflammatory fatty acids (mostly omega-6s,) damage cell membranes. Pasturing our poultry provides them a healthier lifestyle and diet, produces a healthier lipid profile in all their tissues, which makes them a healthier food source for us.

I can provide any interested party with an exhaustive reading list on the biochemistry behind all this.

Angela

I still want to promote my breed as laying the eggs lowest in cholesterol
smile.png

Promoting them as high in omega-3s is heart-healthy, and both educated and uneducated customers usually know that much about nutrition. I would worry that "low cholesterol eggs" would draw in the ignoramuses. (I, personally, hate dealing with the general public on my time off.;))

I once read about a 10 farm comparison of egg nutrition that listed breed and feeding method as well as actual lipid profiles. I did not see a strong correlation between breed and lipid profiles, but saw a decent correlation between husbandry/feeding methods and nutrition, in not only the fats, but also the fat-soluble vitamins.

I still feed a commercial corn- and soy-based ration, but am working on getting more mobile tractors so the flock can be pastured. If I found a nutritionally adequate non-GMO feed, I would switch.

Angela

Promoting them as high in omega-3s is heart-healthy, and both educated and uneducated customers usually know that much about nutrition. I would worry that "low cholesterol eggs" would draw in the ignoramuses. (I, personally, hate dealing with the general public on my time off.
wink.png
)

I once read about a 10 farm comparison of egg nutrition that listed breed and feeding method as well as actual lipid profiles. I did not see a strong correlation between breed and lipid profiles, but saw a decent correlation between husbandry/feeding methods and nutrition, in not only the fats, but also the fat-soluble vitamins.

I still feed a commercial corn- and soy-based ration, but am working on getting more mobile tractors so the flock can be pastured. If I found a nutritionally adequate non-GMO feed, I would switch.

Angela

Purina has their new organic non gmo feed but it doesn't have the higher level of protein for gaining that muscle mass for being used as meat birds that we prefer to feed ours.

Purina has their new organic non gmo feed but it doesn't have the higher level of protein for gaining that muscle mass for being used as meat birds that we prefer to feed ours.

Despite coyotes on just about every acre, the white tail deer population seems to grow exponentially...at least in my part of the world.

Partially due to that fact, my chickens, dogs and the human population of this farm will NEVER lack for high quality protein diet.

Nuff Said.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Promoting them as high in omega-3s is heart-healthy, and both educated and uneducated customers usually know that much about nutrition. I would worry that "low cholesterol eggs" would draw in the ignoramuses. (I, personally, hate dealing with the general public on my time off.
wink.png
)

Angela

It was a joke, playing on the breed I have mentioned in the "study".

Despite coyotes on just about every acre, the white tail deer population seems to grow exponentially...at least in my part of the world.

Partially due to that fact, my chickens, dogs and the human population of this farm will NEVER lack for high quality protein diet.

Nuff Said.
gig.gif
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom