Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

OK thanks, that's unfortunate for me, but we don't want to be violating any copyright laws.
Hum, I checked over on www.bookfinder.com and several companies have reprinted this Pacific Fancier vol.1-3 in one vol. and Vol.4-7 in another Vol. Looks like about 28.95 per book plus postage or free amazon prime postage. Nabu Press and rarebook are selling the cheap OCR copies, don't go there. Lots of typos in them. Check Palala Press, they may be doing a better quality transcript. They pub. this year. Make sure the seller has corrected OCR mistakes before publishing.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&submit=Search&title=pacific+Fancier&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr
The Buckeye article is in Vol.4-7.

Last edited:
The series of the American Poultry journals yearbooks for 1914-1915 on the history of the different breeds had many great articles on poultry husbandry (In post 8146). I had read the section on the Wyandotte and then checked out the table of contents. Particularly liked the ones on health and wellness as well as treatment. Was really interested in the article on bumble foot...actually being tuberculosis and that it can be an inherited issue.

Last edited:
The series of the American Poultry journals yearbooks for 1914-1915 on the history of the different breeds had many great articles on poultry husbandry (In post 8146). I had read the section on the Wyandotte and then checked out the table of contents. Particularly liked the ones on health and wellness as well as treatment. Was really interested in the article on bumble foot...actually being tuberculosis and that it can be an inherited issue.

Those articles are priceless, but they had far to go on some topics. Bumblefoot/Tuberculosis being one of them.

Oh well this is interesting. I am reading and article on spraying cocci vaccine on chicks in large quantities in hatcheries. They are writing it is vital to get the chicks to ingest the vaccine uniformily soon after it is sprayed. To this end they think it would be a good thing to encourage enhanced preening and pecking by the chick by way of color or aroma. Wonder if tye could make the vaccine smell llike dried mealworms, that should doit, smile.
Best,
karen

My mentor in Chanteclers died suddenly and way too early. I miss Hellbender so much. Such a caring and helpful breeder. I don't think I can breed Chanteclers without his help. Kinda has taken the wind out of my sails for purebred poultry. I can' quite decide whether to hang it all up or look for another breed.
Sigh,
Karen

Last edited:
My mentor in Chanteclers died suddenly and way too early. I miss Hellbender so much. Such a caring and helpful breeder. I don't think I can breed Chanteclers without his help. Kinda has taken the wind out of my sails for purebred poultry. I can' quite decide whether to hang it all up or look for another breed. ​
 Sigh,
 Karen

Oh how sad. :hit

My mentor in Chanteclers died suddenly and way too early. I miss Hellbender so much. Such a caring and helpful breeder. I don't think I can breed Chanteclers without his help. Kinda has taken the wind out of my sails for purebred poultry. I can' quite decide whether to hang it all up or look for another breed.
Sigh,
Karen

I am so sorry to hear that.
Angela

Thanks, ya'll. Maybe I will just take the year off and see about starting again next Spring.
We are building a Woods Open Air Coop this Fall. Inspired by one I saw out of recycled pallets on the building coops thread. Weather here has changed so much in the last few years. Personally, I think it is part of a longer global cooling trend. Polar vortexes in Jan. and hot humid summers. So I need a very versatile, easy to breed color bird( no fancy extremities) which needs more breast meat than the breed has right now.
Hum,
Karen ( flash flooding in our valley tonight. Fortunately downstream from us. I sure hope the bee guy hasn't gotten flooded again.)

Last edited:
Sigh,
Karen

I believe quite strongly that Ron would have wanted you to continue with the Chanteclers.......
hugs.gif

And he probably would have said, Campines as well ? Go for it!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom