Heritage New Hampshires

How long does it take them to "even out". 1 year of age? Or how many months after starting to lay?

Wanna hear a funny story?
lau.gif

I hatch every week. My schedule is to hatch on Sundays or Mondays, so I can ship out on Mondays and Tuesdays. Well, last Sunday when I hatched (Delawares and project chicks), I thought this one chick was a little darker than my usual Delawares. I mark the eggs, "Del," for Delaware, and "2" for pen #2 which is the project birds (BR x NH). Project chicks hatch out barred. I have hatched around 100 of them.

Jan 29 I changed cockerels; took the BR out and moved the NH in with his NH girls. I set these eggs on Jan 31 and hatched Feb 21.

Guess what I hatched? A PURE NEW HAMPSHIRE! My first New Hampshire chick!

Today I am hatching. I watched as the first chick hatched from the egg with a "2" on it. Yellow? What? Projects should all be barred. THEN I REALIZED!
gig.gif

Here is my first New Hampshire chick.....

31282_2-27-2011_058.jpg

AND, here is the second, newly hatched!

31282_2-27-2011_068a.jpg

Quote:
Nice! Can't wait to see a whole passle of them little boogers posted on here. NH's are undoutedly my favorite breed of chicken. I've got all kinds and have had all kinds and these orange chickens are the it I tell ya for me any-ways. Sweet!

Way to go Mrs. Kathy and yeah it don't take long sometimes for the eggs to become fertile as most of the ol' boys I've been around don't tarry on getting the job done, its why ther sir name is cock and that they are, walking hormones for sure.
lol.png

Jeff

The more I see the NH, the more I like them. DH fell hard for them at Nationals, and put his vote in for getting some.
Catdaddy- it's fun being part of preserving some of these breeds, isn't it? Kathy is doing a great job!

Quote:
X2 There really is no comparison.

New Hampshires are my son's breed of choice. He saw Kathy's birds on here right after she posted the first pictures and decided to just sell his.
lau.gif
You shoulda heard him. Dumb birds don't look nothing like that... they ain't even colored right... why am I feeding these silly crossed up things, I'm gettin' me some of them pretty ones, then we'll see who's gonna win at the fair this year.

What can I say? He's his father's son!

You can imagine my surprise! When this one hatched today, I was like .....
ep.gif

It took me a little while, and then I remembered the one from last week. I went back and looked at it, and was like .... YES ! ! ! ! It's a New Hampshire!
ya.gif

Billy, It was so nice to meet you and Cait today! I do hope you all will come again!

Last edited:
I am sure we will and look forward to it!!! You have a beautiful place beautiful birds and an excellent family
big_smile.png
Typed words just cannot replace that face to face conversation
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom