Heritage RIR vs production RIR

Quote:
I'm not really sure and I'm no expert by any means but I keep hearing 300/year and that they have an excellent conversion rate. Mine started laying at 17 weeks and are very dependable and nice and calm. If you search them here on BYC pretty much everyone likes them. I think they are a cross between a White Rock hen and a New Hampshire Red sire. If you just google "golden comet" you'll find plenty of hatcheries selling them but here's one of you don't want to:

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/goldencometpage.html

And here is some info about them:

http://www.chickenbreeds.info/category/sex-links/golden-comets/

I love mine as they crank out eggs pretty much every day. My Amber links do the same thing and I think they are a RIRxCalifornia White, whatever that is. I can't imagine having to collect eggs from 200 of them. But.....

thanks for the information. If you are trying to make a profit selling eggs you got to have enough to supply your customers and high numbers for making a profit.
Its like getting up in the early moarning deleavering newspapers with your car. You better have a car that gets good gas mileage or you wont have much left over to buy stuff. bob

Any more pictures of the Heritage Rhode Island Reds/Do any of you plan to get some this spring?

We are planning to get some anda new strain from Rhode Island.bob

Quote:
Yes, I need to add to my flock. My whatever they are have just started laying so I'm gonna see how productive they are & go from there.

Bob,
The Golden Comet is just a Red Sex-Link chicken that is supposed to be a cross of a Rhode Island Red Rooster over a Rhode Island White Hen but I have yet to see a true Rhode Island White come from a hatchery so it is hard to say what they are using.

If you wanted to you could take a Rhode Island Red Rooster out of a good productive line of Reds and cross him with a productive Silver Leghorn, Columbian Leghorn or if you can find a good productive line of Columbian Rock or Delaware would work also.

As you might know a Red Sex-link is a Gold Rooster over a Silver Hen so the crosses are unlimited.
Here is a Excellent post by a genetic guru on the Sex-link gene. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

Last edited:
My friend is going to go with a hundred chicks of mixed breeds. 25 of production reds, golden eggers and something else. Then in a year after they mature will order more of the breed they like the best. The name of the game is eggs hopefully there will not be a lot of blow outs from the production chickens. bob

Quote:
I don't own either, (never ever plan on owning Production Reds) but, I feel your pain. . . I'm always "anti-hatchery" as some may call it, but my biggest disappointment is with Rhode Island Reds and how much they've been ruined due to so much popularity in using them as production birds and production parents.

There ok and I may use some of the top strains if I wanted to sell brown eggs for say $4. a dozen like the stores do. If you are in it to make money and make a profit the old time Heritage breeds are not a choice. You have to make up your line what your major goals are. The sad thing is when people tell you they have Rhode Island REds or Plymouth Rocks and they send you pictures and want you to ask you what you think of them. Then you have to tell them those are not true to breed birds.

Its like going steel head fishing and telling some one you caught a 18 lb fish and send them a picture of a carp.

Thanks for droping buy. bob

I will say one thing about hatchery chickens. They are great egg producers, most are anyway. Don't get me wrong I think heritage are great they IMO do not lay as well as the hatchery strains.
There may ber some lines out there that do lay good though.
When I get ready for my RIR's I may try to find some Heritage Rosecomb Reds and I think I would like to find some Rosecomb Rhode Island Whites also.

I would think a rose comb Standard Red would lay maybe 140 to 160 eggs in her pullet year if she is lucky. The highest egg laying I have seen is about 190 for Single Comb R I Red Large Fowl. They were breed that way but the strain like this does not do this anymore. Production reds should lay at least 200 to 250 eggs per pullet year. That is why you want them for selling eggs you will earn more profit this way. The question is what hatchery has the best egg laying production reds? bob

Back
Top Bottom