Hermaphrodite chicken?

We have a bird here that is starting to get some rather long tail feathers, and I too wondered if she could be a hermaphrodite? I read here that it could be hormone related, and she is still quite young (about 3 and 1/2 months) so maybe it would be too soon to tell anyway. I only noticed today that while she isn't the largest of her same aged hens, she has these really long tail feathers coming in and she holds them very erect (as our roosters do). But she has no pronounced comb/wattles. We thought this may be more likely for her, b/c she has an extra toe as well-which we thought may be an indication of some oddities going on during her development. Either way, we aren't concerned about it or bothered by it-just curious if this was possible? She is a pretty and docile bird, even with her strangeness...we just see it as unique
big_smile.png

So I guess my question is whether it is possible and how likely it is and does the extra toe make it more possible, even if hermaphrodites are rare? Or is more likely that she is just working out some hormone stuff?
We'd love to hear any thoughts!
There's nothing odd about this bird you have described. 5 toes are the norm in some chicken breeds e.g. Silkie, Houdan, Dorking etc. Some of these birds may even have 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other. You have a young bird that is developing its male characteristics such as sickle feathers in the tail, which you have described. Some roosters are slower to develop their comb and wattles than others. "She" most definitely sounds like a "he"!

Sounds like a hermaphrodite to me. Some can lay eggs and sometimes even self-fertilize them. I have a chicken with a rooster tail and head features, but it has the bone structure of a hen, and it hasn't laid or crowed yet. It's really friendly with people but doesn't go near the hens.

This bord transformed it's shape as the snow began to collect. There was never an egg laid similar to the. Eggs that were questionable from this shim. Anyway, this roo is long gone.
It is well known in animals (AND humans) that anything affecting sex hormone production can cause changes to the physical appearance and behaviour of an animal. For instance, a tumor of particular tissues of the reproductive system can cause the over-production of testosterone in a female (e.g. a hen) causing the growth and development of male characteristics such as rooster feathers, thicker legs, and the behaviour of a rooster such as crowing. This has NOTHING to do with hermaphroditism, and everything to do with hormonal imbalance.

It is well known in animals (AND humans) that anything affecting sex hormone production can cause changes to the physical appearance and behaviour of an animal. For instance, a tumor of particular tissues of the reproductive system can cause the over-production of testosterone in a female (e.g. a hen) causing the growth and development of male characteristics such as rooster feathers, thicker legs, and the behaviour of a rooster such as crowing. This has NOTHING to do with hermaphroditism, and everything to do with hormonal imbalance.

In biology hermaphrodite represents an animal that has both male and female reproductive organs. Which would explain why a rooster had once laid an egg.

Back
Top Bottom