He's bleeding!

Chickemee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 30, 2007
Texas
My rooster has been sick for sometime and he is now completly healed except that hes only a little bit weaker than the hens. Yesterday I put him with all the hen and fought like I expected and before night I took him out and put him in another coop. This morning, when I put him with the hens he fought started fighting with my youngest and sweetest pullet and she ripped his eyelid. His eye is filled with blood and pus. I wiped his eye and got all the pus out but will he go blind because he still has a little bit of blood in his eye. Is there anything else I can do for him? Thanks in advance.

I saw your post and I don't really know what to do unless you irrigate the eye with water. Do you have something like Visine or some artificial tears or something? I'd just flush the eye and hope it heals. It's tricky in that location to put medication unless you can find Terramycin eye ointment at the feedstore.

*got TEARLESS BABY SHAMPOO?? THE FOAM PUMP KIND IS GREAT FOR CKNS & YOU DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT GETTING IN THE EYE. Use WET COTTON SWABS WITH IT & WASH THE WOUND 2X A DAY **AT LEAST**!! GOT FRESH NEOSPORIN CRM.?? USE IT WITH A COTTON SWAB-- NO FINGERS! IF YOU DON'T HAVE NEOSPORIN-- USE VIT. E ON IT, FRESH CAPSULE OPENED EACH TIME. HE MAY NEED MORE HELP/ANTIBIOTICS ETC. KEEP HIM SEPARATED & KEEP IN TOUCH!! ** HEY MODS: WHERES ALL THE FIRST AID FOLK TODAY ANYWAY??

Last edited:
** HEY MODS: WHERES ALL THE FIRST AID FOLK TODAY ANYWAY??

LOL, we dont have an official first aid crew here. I'm not the person to ask about injuries since I haven't had to deal with many at all. I just thought I'd offer a little support since no one had answered yet. Besides, you did pretty good yourself, didn't you?​

Thanks, SH-- I hope so!! I know there's no "official" crew-- but usually a post like hers brings a mini-deluge of help from members, wonder were e/body is?? Hatchin' duty, I guess??
smile.png

How is your roo today? Basic eye care such as irrigating (keeping it clean) with products specifically for the eye is the way to go... flush all copiously and regularly . If you could post a pic that might help.

Well he seems fine and when I looked at the wound today and its almost completely healed. I guess neosporin works better than I thought. He is seperated right now.

big_smile.png
*AWESOME!! SO Glad to hear that! My Miss Chook has one eye w/some damage from a possum as you may have read (or not!) so, I'm glad to hear when others get better. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom