he's got me shaking in my boots! NOT NO MORE!

I had lots of people tell me that you need to pick him up and walk around with him for like 10 minutes a day. I had a couple cockerals for a very short time. One I gave to my cousin for her flock and the other I sold to a friend. I had no intention of breeding either one, so I had no use for them. However. I did pick them up and pet them almost every day and never has either one been a problem.

Some roos are just plain mean. But you also have to remember that this is the time of year for a sassy roo. It's spring and that means mating. If you aren't using him to mate, I would get rid of him on way or another. But if you need a roo, I suggest you carry him around and show him who's boss or get a new roo.

Personally I'd terminate him then and there if it were me. I have no tolerance for a flogging rooster. I give them one chance and if they don't learn it's the end of them.

But if you really want to keep this boy then the hanging by the feet thing might could work. But you have to carry him around like that for at least several minutes. If he struggles keep holding him until he stops then for another minute or two longer. Don't let him get the idea you'll put him down just because he flaps a lot. He has to give in.

With the occasional bad boy who tries me what I usually do is go get a broom and flog him with it. Knock him down, let him get up, knock him down again then make him run and keep him running until I'm tired of chasing him. The object is not to injure him, but to show him most clearly that when I come, he gets out of the way. If you watch a pen full of roosters (I have a big one) that's the way they settle the pecking order amongst themselves. Two birds fight, the winner chases the loser around and around until he's completely convinced he's beneath the winner in the pecking order. A broom will cause less injury than beak and spurs and keeps him at arm's length while you're doing the convincing.

Once in a while you'll get one that won't learn no matter how many times you apply the broom. Eat that one. Roosters are too easy to come by to tolerate one that attacks you and they can be a positive danger to small children.

.....Alan.

"small kids" I have. holding a roo sounds fun and dangerous. I'm scared
hide.gif
but he has gotten away with this too long. I think I'm going to go hold a roo upside down for awhile and if he isn't under me in the pecking order with in a week he's chicken soup or maybe BBQ chicken maybe he'll stay in freezer camp awhile. I'm sooo ticked at him! that'll fix him!

ETA to add, Hopefully I can hold him, that'll be like holding a gal. of milk away from ur body except this "gal. of milk" will be trying to eat me!

and I'm going now to "gently (w/o bruising)" beat the poop of of my roo!!!!!

Last edited:
The only breed we've ever had that the roo did not ever attack was cochins. We've even had nasty silkies roos. (1) I think it just totally depends on the breed, lineage, temperament, etc.

There are too many good and kind roosters to put up with one that is mean. I have a light brahma that is just turning one year old and so far he is fine but the day he starts attacking will be his last day with us. Personally, I don't think that holding them, scolding them, kicking them or any other kind of discipline will be helpful. They are doing what is natural to them...protecting their flock.

Unless you start from a small chick teaching him who is the alpha roo (you), they are going to keep trying you. JMO

I have a fabulous RIR rooster, whom i love more every day.

But it was kind of a process. I started with three - him and his two brothers. His brothers were mean to the girls from an early age, so i butchered them.

Rocky, the one we kept had to be shown his place a couple of times. At first, if i would pick up a hen, and she would protest, he would peck me in the knee HARD, and it hurt. But i practiced the "methods," and he quickly figured out that i was the boss. Maybe that's a better test - whether he responds to rehab. If he doesn't, it really isn't worth it to me. I want a good roo.

Anyway, then we managed to acquire a wild roo who tried to keep Rocky from the girls. But we got rid of the wild one, and now Rocky has figured out that he is "IT," and he is turning in to everything i ever wanted a roo to be. He always submits to me, but i don't mess with him unless he's out of line (which is never these days). He lets me do what i want to with the girls 'cause he knows i'm the mama. But he carefully protects them and watches the sky for hawks, and finds them food when they're free ranging. He has also finally learned how to mate gently. None of my hens are missing any feathers from mating. But all their eggs are fertile.

I would say it's definitely worth the process to get to the good roo.

Quote:
My #2 roo attackes the guys who go in my coop. A couple weeks ago he went after my DH who would have ended his life had he caught him. If it were summer, my DH would surely have been bleeding. I told him, hold him for a while. If he attacks you again, grab him and hang on to him. He needs to learn his place. My DH says they aren't cuddly types and he doesn't care to hold them. I told him to stay out of the coop. If your roo attacks and you run for cover, they know they've got you beat and will continue to attack unless they are reminded of their place. Push him to the ground and hold him there. It won't happen overnight and will require you to do it a few times. Don't back down. If no amount of persuasion works, it's time for lunch.

Quote:
good point in ur ETA, please decode the chicken breeds for me I'm slow at learning the breed codes. BCMarans and OEGB??? I have thought about Marans cause they lay choc. eggs, right? :eek:)

Black Copper Marans and Old English Game

Quote:
i have a mystery roo (Monkey Stinkeye) who's attitude was just getting worse and worse. then he started attacking my SSH roo(Sarge) who is very non-aggressive. The Monkey flew at me 2 times, and i ran from him. my hubby saw me and told me that by me running from him, is showing him that he's the boss...and he'll do it every time. the next morning, my SSH roo was bleeding, and that evil Monkey flew at me again, so i caught him, and held him. he was *!@@#$, I know he was cussin at me...but after 10 minutes or so, he changed his mind. I still had to seperate him from Sarge, and I still get the stink eye from him, but he won't fly at me. If I suspect that he might be thinking about it, i point at him and give my own stink eye and say..."what, do you need another hug"

I didn't think about hanging him upside down...I'll keep that in mind

I have the same problem with my Partridge Rock Roo and he is not small. He attacks every time I go to the coop to feed, water and collect eggs. And if I let them out to free range for a few hours, I have to constantly watch my back because he's going to come attack me! He only attacks me, he never bothers my husband. I have kicked, hit with a stick, and even held him down and nothing works. I kicked one day and he couldn't walk forward only backwards and he was flapping his wings but wasn't going anywhere, still didn't work. He started this when he was only 4 months old, and I raised him from day one, he is now 8 months old and doesn't have big spurs yet, thank God. I'm gonna try to hold him upside down for a while and see if that will work.

I know exactly how you feel, raimnel!

Good luck! I'll think about this post every time I get attacked now.

Don't want get rid of him right now b/c I do want baby chicks this spring , and he definitely knows how to take care of his ladies. But I will be looking for a new roo after spring.

I have noticed here lately that he only attacks people with red hair! Could it be that he doesn't like red heads? I have red miniature daschund and he also tries to attack him through the fence but could care less about my black chihuahua.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom