he's got me shaking in my boots! NOT NO MORE!

Quote:
That's your problem RIGHT THERE.
You are afraid of your rooster and HE KNOWS it!!!

I tell mine to "do your worst" and he knows that I don't care what kind of bull he tries to pull. They pick up on your attitude, that's for sure.

Quote:
That's your problem RIGHT THERE.
You are afraid of your rooster and HE KNOWS it!!!

I tell mine to "do your worst" and he knows that I don't care what kind of bull he tries to pull. They pick up on your attitude, that's for sure.

I know that he knows it, but it's hard to hide the fact that ur afraid of him when He has attacked you. also I can keep him at bay with a stick or talking Loudly to him, but My daughter snuck (sp?) outside and went to the coop where she thought I was and he attacked her. she can defend herself from him. ANYWAYS he's gone now so even if she does sneek outside, there wont be a roo attacking her. Well except for the silkie roo
roll.png
sometimes he gets in that mood, but is easily distracted.

100LB roo
ep.gif
yikes! he was almost too much for me.

I'm glad I don't have to carry a stick with me now

and yes I've heard RIR and leghorns are mean, I guess we'll have more meat in the fridge.

so buff orps huh? maybe i'll put them on order with the next batch of fatties (cornish X) do they protect kids? I didn't get that comment "PROTECT THE CHILDREN LOL"

Meh, not all RIRs are mean. My roo is a puppy dog, follows me around and will come up to me to be picked up. If he ever got bad though, he would be gone in a heart beat. I think it has more to do with the individual bird and how they are raised. Just mess with them a lot when they are young and don't let them get away with anything. I am down to one bantam roo though, and his future is debatable since he can't seem to learn his place. I wouldn't count every bird of one breed out, but I wouldn't stand for a bird that would go after a person, child or adult.

I don't think the breed says much about the rooster, my EE is a big baby. He's the first one to run and hide in the coop at any sign of trouble. He's really afraid of me- has been since I got him as a baby. I've tried showing him there's nothing to be afraid of, but he's still scared.

Bubba, my EE roo, is very aggressive. My legs have scars from his attacks and my wife won't go out in the yard without a big stick if he's out of the pen. He's cut me right through blue jeans. So why isn't he in the freezer? Well, he's kind of a hero. He actually fought off a coyote, at least until I woke up, got outside and hollared at the coyote, at which point it went over the fence. But Bubba held him off for some time and saved all the hens, so I kind of hate to put him down - he's earned some respect. Still, I got sick of the attacks, so after a search on this site, I found this guide to Rooster Reform. I've used it on Bubba and he now thinks I'm the head rooster. I think even Cesar Millan woud be pleased - I'm the pack leader! My wife is not so sure, but she's trying this too and he's keeping his distance.

Anyway, here's the link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4810

I also read the rooster reform link before my roosters got an attitude, and the principles helped me a lot.

I wanted to say, raimnel, that your bantam rooster - though he's small - might be teaching bad habits to the up and coming cockerels. If he's allowed to attack you - even though it's just your ankles - then the other breeds of roosters know that you are not in charge. In fact, you're second string to 5 inch tall attitude problem. So of course they attack you.

Also, in defense of RIR roos. When i was forming my flock, a friend gave me 3 unwanted male rir chicks when they were about 6 weeks old. They were brothers, who incidentally had been brooded by a beautiful bantam couple, who did a great job. (end rabbit trail here). Anyway. I raised them all up the same, and as they crept toward maturity, i just watched how they treated the girls and how they responded to me. Eventually, i decided on my favorite, and i stewed his brothers.

Rocky is what i named the guy who was left. As i said, i had read the rooster reform business. One day, i was picking up one of the girls to give her a look-see, and she resisted and squawked at me. When she did, Rocky pecked me HARD right in the knee. This was his first painful act of aggression toward me, and i nipped it in the bud right away. After i was done looking at the pullet, i picked up Rocky, and i held his beak between my fingers, and i let him know that i'm the boss. I might have done this two more times when he looked at me in the wrong tone of voice, and now he is a spectacular rooster.

So don't discount RIRs. He is protective of his girls, gentle with them, and he watches the skies for danger. He's a great guy. We don't cuddle or anything, but he knows who's boss, and that's what counts.

My buff orpington roo is a cuddle bunny, but he also would likely be worthless at defending the flock against danger.

Oh also, my knife is ready, but i might need help with the airfare.
wink.png

Glad you finally did him in.

I would put him in a smaller cage away from his hens. Not cruelty small, but like a rabbit cage. Hold him and let him eat from your hand or a plate you're holding if you're more comfortable with that. Maybe have someone else hold him if he scares you too much. My rooster started getting sassy once. For the next week he lived in my room in a small dog crate. No treats, not girls, just me, my hand for a foodbowl, and a water bottle. Gotta say he's the sweetest boy I've ever had
smile.png

My next door neighbor's son told me today that you catch them by the feet with left hand. put them in your lap, and then hold their head down towards your legs over the arm holding the legs until they quit struggling and then a while longer.....he called it "showing the chicken dominance" or something like that. He said the key thing was to make sure you forced the head down lower than its body and that you do not stop until long after they have submitted. It sounds like another method similiar to keeping the chicken walking, holding them upside down, etc. to let them know who is boss.

My question is "Are the losing roos forced to put head down to ground by alpha roo?? If so, then this method would be replicating and re-enforcing natural chicken behaviors !

But, yeah I would have been eating fresh roasted chicken tonight if a chicken ever attacked me or anyone else, roo or not!

Take care of you and yours,

Deb

Back
Top Bottom