He's or She's in my flock????

Quote:
Thanks for your support! It's nice to know I have "back up" if I need it!
ya.gif

So are you saying out of 25 ordered pullets you got 2 roos from MM? Cause that's not too bad, IMO. Hope I don't sound like I'm belaboring the point, but I plan on ordering from them this spring
hmm.png
. That error rate I could handle. And yes, I think the exotic chicks are almost always roos.......that just makes sense from the hatchery standpoint.

Too bad about the SR Wellsummers. That's always such a gamble, kinda like hatching you own
roll.png

The only one that I am pretty confident calling a rooster is the Campine (he's crowing, that's rather definitive). Give this just a little more time. My last order from McMurray was 35 or so chicks, and the ONLY rooster in my pullet order was the free exotic, which is consistent with my experience with them in the past, also. It's can be a hard call at this age, don't despair, give it a few more weeks. It's kind of suspenseful, but there really isn't such a big hurry to know, is there?

Quote:
I agree. If 2 of the roos were freebies, and 3 were from another source, then you can really only "blame" McMurray for 2 out of 25. That's less that 10% which is pretty much the industry standard. It's no less inconvenient for you, but not worth getting upset over.

For future reference do a search on sexing Wellies. If you get to pick your chicks from a bin, they're quite easy to sex at hatch. The girls have much clearer black markings on the head, and clearer "eyeliner" extending from the eye. This may only work in some lines of Wellies, but it's worked in the better breeder lines that I've encountered.

Yes, I think you're right - two Roos out of 25 isn't bad. I do wonder about the other 15 that I sold - were there Roos in there too? Doesn't matter tho!

It's true - I could give it a couple weeks on these, just kinda scared of being stuck with them if they are Roos!
th.gif

I'm extra disappointed bout the Wellies. I had read the thread about sexing them, after I got them - of course! But I guess it wouldn't of helped anyway, since they were picked out for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom