Hey Northerners: What is the absolute coldest air temps your chickens have experienced happily!

Thank you so much for posting this link to your thread. I really appreciate the information. A couple of my girls have frostbite on the points of their combs. I think they'll just lose the tips. I feel so bad about it. I used Vasoline when I heard it was going to get cold and it didn't do a thing. I'm heading to TSC tomorrow to pick up some bag balm for the next below zero marathon. BTW, Roger still looks totally handsome with his "slicked back comb".
wink.png
The joys of living in the MN tundra, eh?

Hi lalaland: I have a large combed rooster that lost about 2/3 of his comb and wattles last winter. You can look at my thread Freezer Camp in my Minnesota Coop. Frostbitten comb. Or something like that. I was the OP anyways. It kind of walks you through what to expect. Etc. Might give you a sense of timing for things to fall off or what they look like in the process of healing.
Thank you, i am going to head right to the thread to read.
This is my roo that flogged me a few weeks ago, and I thought I had him under control - worked with him steady for two weeks. Then when everyone has been cooped up, I stopped because you can't really make him back up much in the coop - he has been well behaved but today when I was forcing the hens out he went after me (think he was protecting his favorite hen that I was shooing out the door). Anyway, I was carrying him around after that and noticed his comb has started a little blister. poor little so and so.

Bogtown, I'm kind of overwhelmed after reading your thread on Roger with the iced wattles and comb. I think Booster is in about the same shape, but not swollen yet...

Bad news is I work 75 miles away, so am usually gone during the week for 14-16 hours a day - had 3 hour morning commutes this last week with the snows. I am not sure I can provide the amount of care you were able to give Roger, and that is a scary thought.

Hi all, well mine, as pullets, and one cockerel, spring hatch, are experiencing their first winter, and of course, it's the coldest Dec in decades....-18 F nights and single digits or 2-4 below days...so far, the 5 I have laying are laying still, even on the one night the windchill was -38 F.

They do chicken things, do not hang on the roosts during the day and when I bring out their water, early am, they are at the door, talking and ready for their warm water "coffee" LOL

So far, besides being fluffly on the really cold days, which I read is the way they stay warm, they seem fine. No fighting or standing in corners...I do feed a warm mash of pellets with a couple eggs, shell and all, crumbled up, in the am, scratch early afternoon and warm water in their fount.

No water heater yet, so I do have to change their water often, yesterday, every hour, as the temps were way down there...but they seem happy. Oh, I also give them apples, whole, once or now twice a week, 2-3 at a time, for them to eat and play with. Being bored, as they won't go out any more, seems to be their biggest problem, so I try to find things to amuse them...going to try the hanging cabbage, one this storm passes.

IMHO it is not so much the cold, as moisture and drafts that bother them more. I do not use any heat or light. Trying to go the natural way, as we lose power lots here and don't want them to have to deal with the drastic heat drops, when we lose the power....

ETA I also have free feed, in a 30 lb feeder, so they have access at all times...yes, they do eat more in the cold!

Last edited:
This is my roo that flogged me a few weeks ago, and I thought I had him under control - worked with him steady for two weeks. Then when everyone has been cooped up, I stopped because you can't really make him back up much in the coop - he has been well behaved but today when I was forcing the hens out he went after me (think he was protecting his favorite hen that I was shooing out the door). Anyway, I was carrying him around after that and noticed his comb has started a little blister. poor little so and so.
Roger was feisty at times too. But with lots of handling last winter he learned that I was there to help him. And I think I learned too what would tick him off. It's not a bad thing...I don't think to have a roo protective of his hens. They are territorial by nature too. Like Roger is nice to me up on the deck...but down by the coop...well that's his space. Bird brain. LOL.

Bogtown, I'm kind of overwhelmed after reading your thread on Roger with the iced wattles and comb. I think Booster is in about the same shape, but not swollen yet...

Bad news is I work 75 miles away, so am usually gone during the week for 14-16 hours a day - had 3 hour morning commutes this last week with the snows. I am not sure I can provide the amount of care you were able to give Roger, and that is a scary thought.
If you don't have wattle swelling that's a good thing. Roger couldn't eat and drink very well there for about a week or so. The wattles were in the way. You'll just have to do what you have to do. When you get home make sure his crop is full...If not peel him off the roost for healthy food and water in the house and cleanings and treatments.

There was a point where I felt like I made more of it than what it was. There was a time where I just couldn't deal with him for a day or so and let it be. He was just fine for it. It can be overwhelming and when you are the only one caring for him...I felt very alone in his care...until I would come to this forum. I found wonderful support here on BYC when I needed it most. In retrospect I probably didn't have to do topical treatments until the infection could be smelled...and at that point intervening would be a good thing. There are better meds than what I used too. Easier. You can only do what you can do with your job, LaLa. We all understand balancing jobs, families and taking care of our animals. It can be challenging. Whatever you can do and when you can will help him along.

Thank you so much for posting this link to your thread. I really appreciate the information. A couple of my girls have frostbite on the points of their combs. I think they'll just lose the tips. I feel so bad about it. I used Vasoline when I heard it was going to get cold and it didn't do a thing. I'm heading to TSC tomorrow to pick up some bag balm for the next below zero marathon. BTW, Roger still looks totally handsome with his "slicked back comb".
wink.png
The joys of living in the MN tundra, eh?
You're welcome chickiegrrl. I'm glad I did that thread now. I really looked for a thread on here that went through the healing process and I didn't see one...No timeline of what to expect at different points in healing. So I did it for all that have found themselves in this situation and didn't know what to expect. I've noted one of my hens will have some damage on her comb today. -23 this AM. She must have slept last night with her head out from under her wing. poor girl. Right now it's pale along the back side of the blade. ugh.
th.gif
Don't like the extended cold temps!

Roger was feisty at times too. But with lots of handling last winter he learned that I was there to help him. And I think I learned too what would tick him off. It's not a bad thing...I don't think to have a roo protective of his hens. They are territorial by nature too. Like Roger is nice to me up on the deck...but down by the coop...well that's his space. Bird brain. LOL.

If you don't have wattle swelling that's a good thing. Roger couldn't eat and drink very well there for about a week or so. The wattles were in the way. You'll just have to do what you have to do. When you get home make sure his crop is full...If not peel him off the roost for healthy food and water in the house and cleanings and treatments.

There was a point where I felt like I made more of it than what it was. There was a time where I just couldn't deal with him for a day or so and let it be. He was just fine for it. It can be overwhelming and when you are the only one caring for him...I felt very alone in his care...until I would come to this forum. I found wonderful support here on BYC when I needed it most. In retrospect I probably didn't have to do topical treatments until the infection could be smelled...and at that point intervening would be a good thing. There are better meds than what I used too. Easier. You can only do what you can do with your job, LaLa. We all understand balancing jobs, families and taking care of our animals. It can be challenging. Whatever you can do and when you can will help him along.
I am also grateful that you took the time to do the thread and all the pictures, and I appreciate your support. Funny I never found your thread when I was searching for info about frostbit combs!

Easier and better meds? are you thinking of anything specifically? right now, I think I will put some nustock on both roos and the one hen with tips that are yellow.Going to keep my fingers crossed that no infection develops.

And temps are supposed to hit 32 for one day this week, and today will be a balmy 15 above zero.

That Nu Stock sounds like a wonderful product and will no doubt help you out. It's a little on the spendy side, but I think if you get some Baytril Tablets if he gets infected that will knock everything right out and help him heal faster. I did the cephalexin because it was cheaper...but I had to get 3.5 cc's in him twice a day. I think the baytril would be one pill hid in a scrambled egg chunk and you'd be done for treatment for the day. You need Rx's for both...so you'd have to sweet talk a Vet or find a friend with writing privileges. But I'm putting the cart before the horse here. You may not even need the systemic treatment.

Back
Top Bottom