Hey, what killed my chick and how can I prevent it from happening again?

What might it be?

• Hawk

• Weasel

• Raccoon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 14, 2019
New York City
Today, at 10:00 AM, I went outside to check on my two and a half week old baby chicks that I put outside for now, since it was pretty warm outside today. Then I counted my chicks... And one of the batam's were missing! I was pretty confused. Did one of them escape? Then I saw a big black thing the size of a cat jump over the fence that looked like either a weasel or a raccoon. I searched the premises but found no body... Was the thing that jumped over my fence just a coincidence, or was there something else that might have killed my poor chicken? And no, I don't have my coop near water, so it was not a mink. It can be a hawk I guess...

Did you see any trace of blood in the coop? or foot prints? A picture of the place where the attack took place would be nice too.

There was nothing. It just disappeared. And yes, I did have a enclosure. But we didn't have a roof, so good point.
I think it won't just run away, because we have a load of 15 chicks. Also, this isn't the first time we brought them outside...

Today, at 10:00 AM, I went outside to check on my two and a half week old baby chicks that I put outside for now, since it was pretty warm outside today. Then I counted my chicks... And one of the batam's were missing! I was pretty confused. Did one of them escape? Then I saw a big black thing the size of a cat jump over the fence that looked like either a weasel or a raccoon. I searched the premises but found no body... Was the thing that jumped over my fence just a coincidence, or was there something else that might have killed my poor chicken? And no, I don't have my coop near water, so it was not a mink. It can be a hawk I guess...

So are they free ranging, or are they in an enclosed run?

I'd guess a hawk if you found no body, but I'm surprised you found no feathers either.

So are they free ranging, or are they in an enclosed run?

I'd guess a hawk if you found no body, but I'm surprised you found no feathers either.

Only on Sunday' we let them free range, so we can keep a eye on them 24/7. Today was NOT a sunday. :fl

I know. I guess it is possible that they ran away, although I can't see how they can get out of a 4ft enclosure... With no roof. :he

Only on Sunday' we let them free range, so we can keep a eye on them 24/7. Today was NOT a sunday. :fl

I know. I guess it is possible that they ran away, although I can't see how they can get out of a 4ft enclosure... With no roof. :he

If you have no roof on your run I'd bet twenty bucks a hawk is what took him. They can be very bold, I read on this forum a few days ago where a hawk actually swooped into someone's garage and attacked chicks in their brooder while they were standing right there.

Back
Top Bottom