hey ya'll check out my bathtub duckpond!

firefowl

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Temperate Australia
IMG_2019-06-10_11-58-40.76.jpeg
IMG_2019-06-10_11-58-13.54.jpeg

Pretty neat eh? The hose is connected to the outlet of the bath tub, which can be used to 'fertigate' trees/crops with fertile irrigation water!

got the idea from here https://goodlifepermaculture.com.au/fertigation/

I lost the plug to the bath tub and had to improvise that's why the hose is coming out and back uphill to stop it slowly draining out.

I'm now thinking I should bury it further in the ground and line the outside with flat rocks then put in some aquatic plants so it's more like a duck pond. get some insects, frogs and fishes moved in then it becomes a food source for the ducks too!

by the way is there a 'show us your duck pond' thread? If not there should be!!

Last edited:
That is really a neat looking pond. I think if you put down flag stone around the pond and add some plants it will really look nice giving it a homey touch. Be sure to post pics when completely finished. PS I don't think I'd put it in the ground any further it looks really nice with the rim showing. :thumbsup Great job.

Very nice! I think it makes a lot of sense to put a substrate around the tub that is unlikely to get dragged or tracked into the tub to add to the sediment and muck that will be unavoidable with ducks. There is a plastic lint filter available for utility sink drains that will stop larger crud. They are about eight inches tall, so water can go down through the open top, but stuff that has sunk to the bottom has to pass through the plastic blades of the filter. It might help keep your drain and hose clearer.

Consider adding an inline valve or even a hose-end sprayer with a shutoff valve to keep your tub from draining. Your most likely issue is going to be the amount of muck that ducks produce in water. So a hose sprayer would probably get clogged. But you can put a quick-connect fitting on the end that would allow you to attach (and detach) either a capped-off fitting or a hose sprayer or other accessory. By installing a cap, you would be able to release the muck first before attaching a sprayer or other accessory so they wouldn’t get clogged.

We change our duck pool water every day. The muck settles to the bottom and does not stay evenly suspended in the water. It settles as an inch or two of sludge at the bottom, which is part poop and part dropped feed. Feathers and oil are in there, too. Our ducks have other fresh water buckets, but once there is clean water in the pool, that’s where they want to drink—and drop feed out of their bills. I have to stir up the muck in order to get it to dump out of the pool with the water. Even then, I have to rinse it out.

Whatever hardscape you install, I would encourage you to do so in a way that makes it easy for you to get access to your whole drainage system.

Awesome idea! It's a great pond tub. How many ducks do u have? I have 2 and they take a clean pond and trash it with duckness after about 30 minutes. As they do anything clean lol. I also clean it frequently pending on the weather. They have not torn up the plants around it thankfully but do eat lizards and would eat frogs I'm sure. So not sure about fish surviving unless they are larger ones. Post updates for us:pop

Back
Top Bottom