My Duck was attacked- triage & need advice

anmog

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Mellow the duck was attacked. Marsh her drake & she were placed in a bathtub of warm water with baking soda. The tub turned dark pink/ red from blood. We then drained the tub and cleaned it out with warm water. We tried to find the source of her blood. She was oozing blood from a breast puncture wound of the left side.

We got clean a rag of hydrogen perixide and cleaned as much as possible then got some metal forcep type thingys ( idk my hubby uses it in med school- snippy things?) and put cotton balks with some burning alcohol into the gush of blood to quickly stop the bleeding. It worked after 3 cotton fire balls.

Then we continued to clean up the remaining. Blood off surrounding area to stitch it up. Used a curved disinfected needle. Put triple antibiotic over the sewed wounded area Wrapped her in a warm clean blanket and dried her off. Mate went back outside. We put a thick blanket & town lining the bottom of the tub and safety pinned a new clean wrapped towel around her. She seems to want to pick at her wound so we pinned that towel around her to keep her from doing that.

We placed a small bowl of eletrolyte vitamin water for birds in front of her & rolled oats. She seems calm eating drinking fine and ok.

Question how often do we check on her? When she soils how best to clean her? I have lots of towels to use & can wash the others in a sanitizing wash with detergent and bleach. But how often do we change it out?

I cannot afford to buy her an oral antibiotic right now. I used minced garlic when my chickens had gotten fowl pox a ling time ago. . Would that help? Should i feed her some plain yogurt as a probiotic tomorrow?

When can she bathe in water? Should i just keep her in her hospital bathtub for like a week or two? We dont mind as we have 2 other bathrooms. It just seems easier for her to be kept clean and safe for now.

While my hubby and kids were running around to get supplies I filmed this in the tub initially when we got them inside

Really good reporting, here, it helps forum members come up with ideas.

Oregano is a natural antibiotic, also, you could put some of that into dampened feed or into her water. Some plain yogurt with live cultures, a tablespoon in a cup of water for probiotics should help. Apple cider vinegar, especially unpasteurized, for electrolytes and a tonic.

Some people use colloidal silver, so if you have any on hand, you might consider it. I do not know dosage amounts, though. Just offering ideas.

A saline flush four or five times a day might be a good idea. Epsom salts soaks are sometimes recommended for open wounds, also. Es is a laxative, so don't let her drink any. A wet compress with Epsom salts on it may be your solution, you could put it into either a syringe or spritzer and apply it that way.

Have you been able to trim away feathers? Perhaps they were singed when you used the cotton balls to cauterize the wound. If not, snipping them from around the wound will help as you treat and check the wound.

Last edited:
Great idea Amiga! I use essential oils and dont have oregano. Should i give her fresh oregano? I will do saline sprays. The wound is closed and feathers were trimmed a little & singed away too. She seems ok for now but my heart goes out to her.

I can only pray and instruct from bed mostly as I am in pre term labor status and on bed rest as much as possible.

How long do you think she will try tomess with her wound?

Hard to say - each duck is an individual. It could be her symptom of trauma, or just she is a duck who is proactive.

Here is a thread with some information you might find useful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/352701/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken (apologies for failing to paste the link the first time)

I would try some crushed fresh oregano in either food or water.

How is it that these things happen nights, weekends, holidays, and while you're on bed rest? Prayers continue for you all. I am proud of each of you.

hugs.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
I hope your seeing much improvement this morning. Do you have any idea what attacked her? Because most likely it will be back and if your drake isn't in a Very secure pen you maybe treating him or losing him to this predator. I know you said you couldn't afford an antibiotic right now but they aren't that expensive at the feed stores. Penicillin would be the best one. also there is a product called Veterycin spray it's for wounds and infections and can be bought at most feed stores. Ya'll did an excellent job with treating her wounds best now to make sure she leaves it alone and that flies can't get to it. I'd keep her inside for at least a week, maybe let her mate be with her they really do better with company. A xlarge dog crate may work if you have one or know of someone who would lend you one short term.

I have zero money in the bank minus $31 lol or I would go in a heartbeat. My hubby grabbed the wrong bank card on accident while at the grocery store and pay day isn't till this Friday or I would pick up the medicine. I am going to have the kids pick some fresh oregano from the garden.

She is doing well this morning. Kids will be giving her a quick bath to clean her and wrap & pin her in a fresh towel so she can't mess with her wound. She is quacking, eating and drinking normally. Such a trooper. I am keeping her in the tub till she is healed. Her Drake is fine in his yard. They were loose outside with the other chickens when a got her.

I think it was because there was a skinny brown gray hound looking dog in the back part of the property day before yesterday that we saw twice.

I am not allowed to let our dog run loose because he can get out and will chase people. I think this dog might be my neighbor's son's hunting hound he brought over when he came to visit her this weekend.

We aren't letting any chickens out today.

We need to put feel fencing all in the front of our property but that will be expensive and we may be moving in a few months anyway after I have the baby so it will be for nothing.

I thank you for all the advice. I will keep you posted on her recovery. I am just thankful she is still with us and seems to be acting normal which is a good sign.

I do have to admit that after we helped her, she seems less skiddish of us right now. Maybe she realizes we are helping her? How she can't be totally traumatized with what we did to her, is just a miracle.

PS now we have cleaned her up. She is eating & drinking ok but she started hissing at us when we went to give her fresh vitamin/electrolyte water. We have tried not to disturb her too much and she has fresh towels down. Poor girl! She must be hurting. She isnt messing with her wound so we unwrapped it. Bathtub is clean abd safe and dry.

Back
Top Bottom