Hi all, Hope you all don't take this wrong but, you need to read up!!

Quote:
There are two types of law - civil and criminal. Most laws with an enforcement component are actually not enforced by police. Codes, regulations and ordnances pertaining to chickens a fall under civil law, whereas police enforce criminal law.

A code, regulation or ordnance is most definitely enforceable if an entity has been given the right and power to enforce it. An example of a civil violation is a fine from your town if you violate a zoning set-back.

Phyllis

As far as I know, this seems quite true. I actually know of a few people here in MI who had code enforcement come knocking. They brought up the MRTFA and was told as long as they followed GAMPS and didn't get out of hand, they'd be left alone.

Here is Oklahoma's Right To Farm Law. One is not exempt from local codes or grandfathered if you are a 'johnny come lately' as I read section B. "Nonagricultural activities" could include a lot of things.

A. As defined in this act:

1. "Agricultural activities" shall include, but not be limited to, the

growing or raising of horticultural and viticultural crops, berries,

poultry, livestock, grain, mint, hay and dairy products; and

2. "Farmland" shall include, but not be limited to, land devoted

primarily to production of livestock or agricultural commodities.

B. Agricultural activities conducted on farm or ranch land, if

consistent with good agricultural practices and established prior to

nearby nonagricultural activities, are presumed to be reasonable and

do not constitute a nuisance unless the activity has a substantial

adverse affect on the public health and safety.

If that agricultural activity is undertaken in conformity with

federal, state and local laws and regulations, it is presumed to be

good agricultural practice and not adversely affecting the public

health and safety.

Last edited:
I know that I am moving into a county (in California) considered "an agricultural county" with the Right to Farm. It was one of the handouts provided in my real estate property purchase package. I read it closely.

Basically, I can perform any agricultural or animal husbandry farming operation of any kind, as long as there is no pollution of the water table or hazard to the public by the operation of farming equipment. Paraphrased.

No limit on number of poultry for my nearly two-thirds of an acre. And if I wanted to add alpacas, I wouldn't be the first by any means; there are several alpaca farms in the county. Just as an example.

I'm loving it.

Last edited:
Hey, Brokenegg - would you please look up Florida's right to farm law and tell me what it means? So far, I don't have any problem keeping chickens, and I plan to put meat rabbits in soon. I believe my land is also zoned agricultural. And I'm in County, Palm Beach, not city or town limits.

Thanks - I just don't get all the 'legal-eeze' !!

Back
Top Bottom