Hi chicken people!

Great intro! Sounds like you've really been doing your research before you jump in -- wish I had done a better job of that. Guess I thought growing up around chickens would automatically impart all the knowledge I needed. Spoiler alert: It didn't. But BYC has helped filled in many of the gaps.

I have never mail-ordered chicks because, like you, I want to see the exact bird I will be getting. On the other hand, on a day I wasn't planning to get any chicks (yeah, right!), I ended up with two Easter Eggers because I swear they stared directly at me from the store's brooder until I relented and brought them home. Sneaky babies!!

Best wishes with your first family coop and flock, and welcome to BYC!

Great intro! Sounds like you've really been doing your research before you jump in -- wish I had done a better job of that. Guess I thought growing up around chickens would automatically impart all the knowledge I needed. Spoiler alert: It didn't. But BYC has helped filled in many of the gaps.

I have never mail-ordered chicks because, like you, I want to see the exact bird I will be getting. On the other hand, on a day I wasn't planning to get any chicks (yeah, right!), I ended up with two Easter Eggers because I swear they stared directly at me from the store's brooder until I relented and brought them home. Sneaky babies!!

Best wishes with your first family coop and flock, and welcome to BYC!
Thank you for the support!
With us being first time home owners and having other projects to settle first it's given us lots of time to do research before we had the time/money to do it right.
I know alot of it can be DIY which I love but if I'm being perfectly honest having our kids all so excited has me terrified to do it wrong so really hoping to start with our best foot forward!

That's good to know! Thanks for the info!
I love brahmas and legbars too. All of my legbars have been very friendly. But. I have had more health issues with them, such as failure to thrive, and due to their large eggs, reproductive issues.
I only have one legbar girl left of four. I have her daughter, who is a brahma & legbar cross too. Still I'm glad to have had them because they are so sweet.

Back
Top Bottom