Hi from a Newbie from Ontario Canada

Jetsko

Chirping
May 4, 2019
Belleville, Ontario
I'll try to keep this short but in case it runs long - sorry
Last year we purchased a home that had a secure chicken coop, tiny run (3x6) and three chickens. Which we promptly named Elvis, Priscilla & Presley. From fall to spring of this year, we let the chickens free range most days, while I was doing research on backyard chickens. In March, a fox had Priscilla for lunch (very sad day for us) and we started to make plans to increase the size of the run and add new chickens. Added a covered 10x10 run that attaches to the old run & coop via an 18 inch long tunnel.
In early June Lisa & Marie joined the group. I blocked the tunnel, all girls roosted in coop at night, in the morning I move Lisa & Marie to the big run. Left Elvis & Presley in the old run & coop for the morning. In the first week, only Elvis & Presley free ranged under my supervision, 2nd week on Lisa & Marie joined the old girls in the yard (we have an acre). After free ranging, Elvis & Presley were placed in the new run, Lisa & Marie in the old run & coop. If they had a 2nd free range time, again they were switched as to which run they were in. At night whoever was in the new run was carried into the coop to roost & everything was locked up. After 2 weeks, I unblocked the tunnel and monitored chickens for bullying. Some pecking from old girls to new but no blood or lost feathers. In the run, they have 3 feeding & 2 water stations.
I thought I was doing everything correctly but then at almost 4 weeks, I opened up the coop in the morning to find Marie dead on the floor. No blood or trauma to her body, just dead. Marie was a flyer, who startled easily. There was a wild animal smell around the coop that morning, but no signs of a predator trying to break in. I thought maybe Marie got scared and tried to fly high but hit the roof of the coop then fell to the floor and died But this morning, Lisa was dead on the floor, again no signs of being attacked just dead.

I'm so upset - Did I do something wrong? Is there something I should have done but didn't? Anyone have any advice for me?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm very sorry for your losses. It does not sound like your original flock attacked the new comers as the bodies would be bloody. Did you move feathers out of the way to really check for injuries? Where are you located in the world? Could they have been bitten by something venomous?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm very sorry for your losses. It does not sound like your original flock attacked the new comers as the bodies would be bloody. Did you move feathers out of the way to really check for injuries? Where are you located in the world? Could they have been bitten by something venomous?

Hi thanks for your response
I'm in Ontario Canada and no venomous anything in this area. Predators that I need to protect my flock from are foxes, raccoons, weasels, hawks etc

:welcome

Sorry for your losses :hugs Have you checked around the base of the coop to see if there is any place where something could have come in or dug their way in?

It's nice to have you here
Thanks - the coop is solid - built on a cement pad, siding, metal roof & sofits. I've checked around & inside. Can't find any signs of something getting in or trying to.

Back
Top Bottom