Hi from Rockton, IL

AMeriKanne

Hatching
Sep 29, 2015
Hi everyone! Just getting started. Building a coop this weekend. I was asked to help rescue some hens that can't stay where they are. My hubby and I were planning on starting next Spring, but it looks like we are starting about 5 months earlier. We will know for sure tomorrow, if she needs us to take them. I hear she might have someone closer, in miles, to her than us.

I'm finding it difficult to find any free chicken coop plans. I know what I want, so I've got my graphic designer brother working on the plan. We have so much barn wood, insulation, and chicken wire already that I have no doubt we can build a great home for our hens.

My biggest concern will be keeping them safe from our dog and cats. I want to free range them, eventually. For now, I'll put them in the pet play yard during the day. If we start with chicks next March, I feel confident they will adjust and learn, but with these 6-7 month old hens, I'm somewhat hesitant.

Looking forward to all the tips/advice from this group.

Welcome to Back Yard Chickens !
big_smile.png

Chickens are fun!

I have seen so many plans and am now feeling overwhelmed. I keep thinking I want on tall enough for me to walk into and clean. Easy clean-ability is a must. I'm sure we will figure it out.
Fast fix is 10x20 dog pen. Just put chicken wire along bottom. Build roof over top and tarp on back. Remember to build hen boxes off ground and perch.

Have you checked out the Coops section.? Some have very detailed instructions of the build, step by step. Many styles and sizes. You may also want to post on the Illinois thread. Chicken folks could elaborate on what you need to get a flock through winter, etc. Good luck with your build.

I have seen so many plans and am now feeling overwhelmed. I keep thinking I want on tall enough for me to walk into and clean. Easy clean-ability is a must. I'm sure we will figure it out.

My main coop is a walk in..love it. You are right, makes for easy clean up. I have a smaller coop that my hubby also built, not a walk in, harder to reach in and clean.

welcome-byc.gif

Please avoid using chicken wire in your coop build project. It's not strong enough to keep predators out, all it's good for is keeping the chickens in. Hardware cloth is more expensive but will keep your chickens safer.

Good luck with your new flock (whether you get them now or in the spring).

Back
Top Bottom